LEEINKS
Search
gdfgdfg
WEEI.com Blog Network

Thursday’s Morning Mashup: CBS Sports boss says announcers won’t be forced to use Redskins name

07.17.14 at 8:05 am ET
By   |   Comments

Welcome to Thursday’s Morning Mashup. For the latest news, start at our WEEI.com home page or click here for the top stories from our news wire.

THURSDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MiLB: Buffalo Bisons at Pawtucket Red Sox, 7 p.m. (NESN)
Cycling: Tour de France, 8 a.m. (NBCSN)
Golf: British Open, 7 a.m. (ESPN)

AROUND THE WEB:

– The Redskins might still be called the Redskins when the season starts, but CBS announcers have the option of refusing to use the nickname.

CBS Sports chairman Sean McManus, in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, said he does not tell his on-air talent what to say in situations such as this.

“We haven’t talked to them yet. Generally speaking, we do not tell our announcers what to say or not say,” McManus said. “Up to this point, it has not been a big issue for us. Last year, it was simmering; now it’s reaching a hotter level. But we probably will not end up dictating to our announcers whether they say Redskins or don’t say Redskins. We leave that up to them and our production team.

“There are times when something becomes important enough that we talk to them, and between now and the start of football season we’ll decide what is the right thing to do.”

MASHUP POLL: Should Wes Welker be allowed to continue to play football?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

McManus’ comments come the same week U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder expressed his disapproval. A longtime Washington resident, Holder made his position clear in an interview on ABC’s “This Week.”

“I think the name ought to be changed,” Holder said. “I think it is an offensive name. And the Redskins, that organization is a great one. It’s a team with a stories history that has huge amounts of support in Washington, D.C. And I think in the 21st century they could increase their fan base, increase their level of support, if they did something that is, from my perspective that, so obviously right.”

– Texas Tech freshman defensive back Nigel Bethel II, who was dismissed from the team last month after punching a female basketball player during a pickup game, will return to the team but sit out the first three games of the season.

Bethel punched Amber Battle in the face, breaking her jaw. Despite video of the incident, a Lubbock County grand jury on Tuesday declined to indict Bethel for aggravated assault, and in fact requested that his scholarship be reinstated.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Nigel Bethel, Redskins, Reggie Bullock, Sean McManus

Former Lions WR Titus Young arrested on another felony charge

07.16.14 at 1:15 pm ET
By   |   Comments

The troubled personal life of Titus Young continues to get worse.

The former Lions receiver was arrested once again last week for battery with serious bodily injury and is in custody in a Los Angeles correctional facility. Young also faces four misdemeanor counts of battery of school, park or hospital property.

Young’s July 9 arrest came one day before he was set to make a pretrial hearing in Newport Beach, California, where he is facing four felonies and seven other criminal charges.

Young, 24, has reportedly been receiving treatment. His father, Richard, has said Young has a mental disorder.

Young was a second-round draft pick by the Lions out of Boise State in 2011. He caught 48 passes for 607 yards and six touchdowns as a rookie. He was cut in 2013 after clashes with his coaches during his second season.

Read More: Titus Young,

Panthers DE Greg Hardy found guilty of domestic assault

07.16.14 at 11:16 am ET
By   |   Comments

Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy was found guilty Tuesday of assaulting a female and communicating threats.

Hardy was sentenced to 18 months’ probation by Mecklenburg County Judge Rebecca Thorn-Tin after hearing nearly 11 hours of testimony. A 60-day jail sentence was suspended.

Chris Fialko, Hardy’s attorney, said he’ll appeal the ruling and Hardy has asked for a jury trial in superior court, putting the terms of the probation on hold. Hardy can travel with the team to training camp and compete in games.

“We have just learned of the verdict and are respectful of the process. We do not have a comment at this time,” the Panthers said in a statement.

Read More: Greg Hardy,

NBA roundup: Bulls cut Carlos Boozer; Erik Spoelstra, Heat ‘don’t have any regrets’ over LeBron James’ decision

07.16.14 at 11:14 am ET
By   |   Comments

The Bulls used the amnesty clause Tuesday to cut forward Carlos Boozer after four seasons with the team.

Chicago also waived forward Lou Amundson and guards Ronnie Brewer and Mike James as the Bulls try to clear salary-cap space for the signing of Pau Gasol and 2011 draft pick Nikola Mirotic.

Boozer went to Chicago in a sign-and-trade deal with the Jazz in July 2010. He averaged 15.5 points and nine rebounds in 280 games with the Bulls.

Boozer had one year left on a five-year deal worth around $75 million. The amnesty clause allows the Bulls to release a player during the current labor deal and have 100 percent of his salary taken off the cap. Boozer is still owed the money, however.

“Carlos epitomized professionalism in everything he did for the Bulls both on the court, and in the community, during his time here in Chicago,” general manager Gar Forman said in a release. “Over the last four seasons, Carlos’ productivity helped elevate our team to another level. I have nothing but respect for Carlos, and certainly wish him the best as he moves forward.”

– Heat coach Erik Spoelstra spoke Tuesday for the first time since LeBron James decided to leave Miami to rejoin the Cavaliers. Although he said he was surprised by James’ decision, Spoelstra showed no animosity toward the superstar.

“He seemed at peace with the decision,” Spoelstra told reporters after the Heat’s summer league game in Las Vegas. “We don’t have any regrets. He shouldn’t have any regrets. It was a historic four-year run.”

Spoelstra won two titles with James during a four-year run that included four-straight NBA Finals appearances.

– At least the Heat will have two-thirds of their “Big Three” back next season.

Less than a week after James’ decision and Chris Bosh returned to Miami, Dwyane Wade signed a two-year deal with the Heat on Tuesday designed to give Wade and the team some flexibility in the coming years.  Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Carlos Boozer, Dwyane Wade, Erik Spoelstra, LeBron James

Former MLB player Luke Scott fired from Korean team after confrontation with coach

07.16.14 at 9:11 am ET
By   |   Comments

Luke Scott, who tormented the Red Sox on and off the field as a member of the Orioles and Rays, was fired from his Korean Baseball League team Wednesday after showing “disrespectful” behavior toward his coach.

According to reports out of Korea, Scott, who was playing for SK Wyverns, had been placed on reserve due to plantar fasciitis and was not pleased with how the team was managing his injury. After an argument with coach Lee Man-soon in which Scott called the coach a “liar” and “coward,” Scott told reporters the team did not respect his way of handling his physical condition.

Scott, 36, had a .267 batting average and six home runs in 33 games for Wyverns, and he was on the injury list three times.

The dispute raised questions about the cultural differences between Korea and the United States. Lotte Giants pitcher Shane Youman, another former major leaguer, said players should be allowed to speak their minds, although he avoided directly commenting on the Scott incident.

“I’m all for players expressing their feelings towards certain situations if they believe they have a right to. Not just foreign players, but Korean players as well,” Youman said (via the Korea Times). “Baseball has such a long season. Players and coaches are around each other all the time. Things will not always go smoothly. There may be arguments, or mix-ups here and there. At the end of the day, we all know who has the authority, but we are all men, and should be treated and respected as men.”

Scott played nine seasons in the majors, including three seasons with the Orioles (2008-11) followed by two with the Rays. He was best known in Boston for saying Fenway Park should be replaced and calling Red Sox fans “vulgar” troublemakers. He has been in the middle of multiple brouhahas with the team.

Read More: Luke Scott,

Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner Adam Silver says Donald Sterling might still be Clippers owner at start of next season

07.16.14 at 7:57 am ET
By   |   Comments

Welcome to Wednesday’s Morning Mashup. For the latest news, start at our WEEI.com home page or click here for the top stories from our news wire.

WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLS: New England Revolution at Los Angeles Galaxy, 10:30 p.m. (CSNNE)
MLS: Philadelphia Union at New York Red Bulls, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
Cycling: Tour de France, 8 a.m. (NBCSN)

AROUND THE WEB:

– NBA commissioner Adam Silver, while saying it’s “highly, highly unlikely” that a court blocks the sale of the Clippers to Steve Ballmer, acknowledged Tuesday that Donald Sterling could still own the team when the 2014-15 season starts up in October.

The NBA had pushed to oust Sterling this offseason, but Sterling has made it clear he’s not going down without a fight.

“It’s difficult to say anything with certainty in a situation like this,” Silver said at a press conference in Las Vegas following the league’s board of governors meeting. “We are doing everything in our power to remove Donald Sterling as an owner in the NBA.”

Sterling currently is fighting his estranged wife, Shelly, who orchestrated the sale with Donald’s permission, in Los Angeles Superior Court. That trial, which is recessed until Monday, has featured mood swings and outburst from Donald Sterling.

“I think what’s transpired in probate court so far has made it even clearer that we are acting not only within our rights but doing what is right and appropriate in this situation,” Silver said.

MASHUP POLL: Should the MLB All-Star Game be used to determine home-field advantage for the World Series?

  • No, Tuesday night showed why this game can't be taken seriously (78%, 101 Votes)
  • Yes, it gives the game more importance (22%, 29 Votes)

Total Voters: 130

Loading ... Loading ...

– Former Vikings punter Chris Kluwe plans to file a lawsuit after the team refused to release the results of a six-month independent investigation regarding alleged homophobic comments made by special teams coach Mike Priefer.

The Vikings said Tuesday that they never promised to reveal their findings to Kluwe, who claims he has learned the report validates his allegations.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Adam Silver, Chris Kluwe, Donald Sterling,

FIFA president Sepp Blatter ‘not at all happy’ with way racism was handled at World Cup

07.15.14 at 10:39 am ET
By   |   Comments

The World Cup is meant to bring nations together in a celebration of competition and a mutual love of soccer.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter believes the event failed in doing that.

Blatter was instead critical of the way discrimination was handled at World Cup matches this year.

“I am not at all happy with the way we fought against racism,” Blatt said.

Blatter said he spoke with Russian president Vladimir Putin Sunday about addressing this issue more effectively at the 2018 World Cup in Russia.

Jeffrey Webb, FIFA’s racism task force chairman, said there was a “disconnect” between his group and FIFA’s disciplinary panel.

In more positive World Cup news, Sunday’s final between Germany and Argentina set a television viewership record in the United States. The tournament as a whole exceeded expectations for interest on both ESPN and Univision.

An estimated 26.5 million people in the U.S. watched Germany top Argentina 1-0 Sunday afternoon, with 17.3 million viewers on ABC and 9.2 million on Spanish-language Univision, according the Nielsen company. Over 750,000 watched through online services.

The tournament also led to more than 3 billion interactions on Facebook and 672 million messages on Twitter, according to the social media companies.

Read More: World Cup,

Chandler Parsons ‘offended’ by Rockets’ treatment in free agency

07.15.14 at 9:57 am ET
By   |   Comments

Chandler Parsons‘ excitement to join the Mavericks may stem from more than just the three-year, $46 million he signed with them.

Parsons told Yahoo! Sports he was “offended” by the Rockets’ pursuit of a third star in LeBron James, Chris Bosh or Carmelo Anthony rather than sticking with him. Not only did the Rockets miss out on all three star free agents, but they also lost Parsons to their Texas rivals.

“Honestly, I was offended by the whole process,” Parsons told Yahoo! Sports on Monday. “They publicly said that they were going out looking for a third star when I thought they had one right in front of them. I guess that’s just how they viewed me as a player. I don’t think I’ve scratched the surface of where I can be as a player and I think I’m ready for that role.

“You can’t knock them for always trying to get better. [Houston general manager] Daryl Morey is very aggressive, is a genius, a great GM and I have nothing but respect for those guys. And they are looking to make their team better. That’s what they were doing. I just thought I could be that guy that could do that.”

Parsons averaged 16.6 points, 5.5 rebounds and four assists with the Rockets last season. He was a restricted free agent after opting out of the final year of his deal that would’ve paid him $964,750.

Read More: Chandler Parsons,

Saints TE Jimmy Graham announces new deal on Twitter

07.15.14 at 9:54 am ET
By   |   Comments

Whether Jimmy Graham lines up at tight end or wide receiver, it appears he’ll be catching passes for the Saints for a long time.

Graham announced on Twitter Tuesday morning that he and the Saints have agreed to a new long-term contract extension well before Tuesday’s 4 p.m. deadline.

The Saints followed with a similar announcement shortly after.

Graham’s new deal comes two weeks after an arbiter ruled that, for franchise-tag purposes, Graham was a tight end, meaning he would make $5.3 million less than he would if he were paid as a receiver.

Graham filed an appealed before the Monday deadline. As of Monday, the Saints reportedly offered him a $9.5 million-per-year deal that would make him the NFL’s highest paid tight end.

The terms of the deal have yet to be announced.

Read More: Jimmy Graham,

Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant, among 19 players selected for US men’s basketball roster

07.15.14 at 9:53 am ET
By   |   Comments

Derrick Rose, who has been recovering from his latest knee surgery, was among the 19 players chosen by coach Mike Krzyzewski on Monday for this summer’s U.S. national team roster.

Rose joins the likes of Kevin Durant, Kevin Love, James Harden and Anthony Davis, who are the four holdovers from the 2012 Olympic Games in London, as well as new additions DeMar DeRozan and Chandler Parsons.

Rose will report to training camp with the rest of the team this month in Las Vegas in preparation for the World Cup of Basketball in Spain in late August. Krzyzewski said he’s hopeful Rose will be back to his pre-injury self.

“We’d like to see him play like the Derrick of old, because he’s one of the best players in the world, an MVP in the NBA,” Krzyzewski said during a conference call. “What we’ve heard is that he’s in great shape.”

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said the roster could be trimmed to 15 after the camp in Las Vegas. The final 12 will be selected before the Americans leave for Spain.

Read More: Derrick Rose, Kevin Durant,