College Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Jose Canseco wants to return to baseball

12.13.10 at 4:15 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Jose Canseco wants to make a return to baseball according to a series of tweets from the man himself (@JoseCanseco) over the weekend. The 46-year old has not played in the major leagues since 2001 with the White Sox, but has made a series of minor league stints including a stay with the Laredo Broncos in 2010.

In a series of tweets Canseco said:

I can dh for any major league team and lead the league in home runs,just give me the chance

I dream about playing almost every night.when I wake up and realize I am not anymore that’s when the nightmare begins

I am and will always be just simply a baseball player,my tomb stone will just say. Baseball.

Canseco has hit 462 home runs and 1,407 RBIs in his major league career. Since retiring, he has played with eight minor-league teams; with the Broncos last year, Canseco served as a designated hitter and a bench coach.

Read More: Jose Canseco, Rumor Mill,

Cardinals to stick with rookie John Skelton at quarterback

12.13.10 at 3:29 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt said Monday that he will stick with rookie John Skelton at quarterback this week against the Panthers. In his first-career start, Skelton helped the Cardinals break their seven-game losing streak in the team’s 43-13 win over the Broncos Sunday.

“I think we’ll stick with what our plan has always been and that’s to play the best player or the player that gives us the best chance to win, and I think right now that’s John Skelton,” Whisenhunt said. “Until we feel otherwise, we’ll proceed along those lines.”

Skelton was given the start Sunday because Derek Anderson was ruled out with a concussion. Even if Anderson is available for Sunday, Whisenhunt said that he wants to stick with Skelton.

“What I really liked was his demeanor and how he handled himself,” Whisenhunt said of Skelton’s performance. “They brought a lot of pressure yesterday. He was able to handle that and make some throws. There’s potential there to grow into that position and that’s an exciting part of it.”

The Fordham product finished 15-of-37 for 146 yards Sunday.

Read More: Derek Anderson, John Skelton, Ken Whisenhunt, Rumor Mill

NFL reviewing trip by Jets’ coach Sal Alosi

12.13.10 at 3:23 pm ET
By   |   Comments

NFL personnel and the Jets said Monday that they are reviewing a trip by a Jets staffer on Dolphins cornerback Nolan Carroll. Jets strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi stuck out his left knee along the sideline to trip up Carroll on punt coverage in the third quarter of the Dolphins’ 10-6 road win.

Carroll was shaken up after the play but managed to walk off the field under his own power. Alosi apologized after the game to both Carroll and Dolphins head coach Tony Sparano.

“I made a mistake that showed a total lapse in judgment,” Alosi said in a statement released by the Jets. “My conduct was inexcusable and unsportsmanlike and does not reflect what this organization stands for.”

Alosi played linebacker at Hofstra from 1996-2000 and is currently in his second stint with the Jets.

Read More: Nolan Carroll, Rumor Mill, Sal Alosi,

Brett Favre doubtful with swollen collarbone

12.13.10 at 3:22 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Brett Favre‘s status for Monday night’s matchup against the Giants is still not definite, but things are looking worse for his record starting streak. The 41-year old is suffering from a severely swollen collarbone according to Jason La Canfora of NFL.com, and Favre said Sunday that he likely would not be able to play.

The 20-year veteran has not thrown a pass all week long, after injuring his shoulder on the third play from scrimmage against the Bills last Sunday. Coach Leslie Frazier is insistent that Favre will be a game-time decision. Favre has started an NFL record 297 consecutive games.

Read More: brett favre, Leslie Frazier, Rumor Mill,

Report: Athletics look to bring Hideki Matsui to the Bay

12.13.10 at 3:21 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Hideki Matsui is close to signing a one-year deal with the Athletics according to Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle. The deal could be finished as early as Monday and the press conference could be scheduled for Tuesday.

Matsui hit .274 with 21 home runs and an .820 OPS last season with the Angels. He would replace former DH Jack Cust who signed a deal with the Mariners last week.

Read More: Hideki Matsui, Hot Stove, Jack Cust,

Concussions in the NFL up 21 percent since 2009

12.13.10 at 3:21 pm ET
By   |   Comments

According to NFL data obtained by the Associated Press, there was a 21 percent increase in reported concussions from 2009 to 2010 when looking at the first eight weeks of the NFL season. This season there were 154 reported concussions reported from the beginning of preseason through Week 8.

Dr. Hunt Batjer, co-chairman of the NFL’s head, neck and spine medical committee said to the AP, “Based on the opinions of the trainers and the team physicians and everyone we communicate with, it appears to be a cultural change.”

In 2009 there were only 127 reported concussions over the same span. The numbers are a 34 percent jump from 2008 when only 115 concussions were reported.

“We’re trying to make sure that players have the message: Playing through pain is good; playing through pain is what sports are about,” Batjer said. “But that’s leg pain. That’s arm pain. Not brain injury. Because a brain injury and spine injury can threaten their future.”

Read More: Rumor Mill,

Clippers owner heckles Baron Davis

12.13.10 at 2:32 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Clippers owner Donald Sterling heckled his own player, Baron Davis, during a game against the Magic Sunday night, and Yahoo’s Marc Spears caught the exchange. Sterling yelled at Davis, “Why did you take that shot?” and “You’re out of shape” at Davis who is in the third year of a five-year $65 million contract and his play has not lived up to expectations.

Read More: Baron Davis, Donald Sterling, Rumor Mill,

Eagles lose Stewart Bradley and Brandon Graham for significant time

12.13.10 at 2:23 pm ET
By   |   Comments

The Eagles announced Monday that they will likely will miss two defensive starters for the rest of the regular season. Rookie defensive end Brandon Graham tore a knee ligament and middle linebacker Stewart Bradley dislocated his elbow in the team’s 30-27 win over the Cowboys.

Graham’s injury will require surgery and should keep him our for the rest of the regular season, if not for the season. The 13th pick in the NFL draft has started six games for the Eagles and recorded three sacks and two forced fumbles.

Coach Andy Reid said that Bradley will be out indefinitely but could return later this season. Bradley is second on the team with 84 tackles.

The injury is another setback among a string of injuries for the fourth-year player. He sustained a concussion in Week 1 that kept him out the next week and he missed all of last season with a torn anterior cruciate ligament.

Read More: Andy Reid, Brandon Graham, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill

Report: Nationals and Blue Jays Interested in Zach Greinke

12.13.10 at 2:17 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com is reporting that sources have indicated that the Nationals and Blue Jays are among the leaders for Royals ace Zach Greinke.

Royals general manger Dayton Moore is reportedly looking for middle-infielder prospects who are close to being major-league ready, in return for the former Cy Young winner. Moore may be looking at the 2007 Rangers-Braves trade that focused around Mark Teixeira, as the blueprint. The deal involved several major-league ready prospects, along with Elvis Andrus and Neftali Feliz, who were viewed as prospects with lots of potential.

Greinke finished 10-14 with a 4.17 ERA in 220 innings last season after winning the CY Young Award in 2009. The 2002 first-round pick is 60-67 for his career with a 3.82 ERA.

Several other clubs have expressed interest in Greinke but may not have the needed prospects. The Yankees and Rangers both have inquired on Greinke, but as of now don’t appear to be front-runners because of their lack of major-league ready infield prospects. The Brewers have also expressed interest but likely do not have the trade pieces.

Read More: Dayton Moore, Hot Stove, New York Yankees, texas rangers

Report: Yankees and Russell Martin Close To Agreement

12.13.10 at 2:14 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Former Dodgers catcher Russell Martin could sign with the Yankees as early as Monday. According to a tweet by Buster Olney, “The Yankees have continued to be aggressive on C Russell Martin; would not be a surprise if we heard at any time of the agreement.”

The former All-Star hit just .248 with six home runs and 25 RBIS in 97 games this season. Martin was an All-Star in his second and third season in Los Angeles averaging 16 home runs and 77 RBIS.

The Red Sox and Blue Jays also were reported to be interested in Martin. He would likely serve as insurance for the Yankees, who hope that Jesus Montero can take over as the starting catcher in 2011.

Read More: Hot Stove, Jesus Montero, red sox, Russell Martin