College Blog
WEEI.com Blog Network

Adam Silver believes LaVar Ball will ‘settle down’ once son is drafted

05.31.17 at 11:10 am ET
By   |   Comments

Laval Ball (right), says he wants to secure a $1 billion shoe contract for his sons. (Richard Mackson/USA Today Sports)

LaVar Ball has been very outspoken about his son Lonzo. (Richard Mackson/USA Today Sports)

While many concerns surrounding potential NBA prospects have to do with their game on the court, the questions surrounding potential top-3 overall pick Lonzo Ball are centered around his outspoken father, LaVar Ball.

The eldest Ball has made many comments, including that he could beat Michael Jordan in a game of one-on-one, but despite his bombastic attitude, NBA commissioner Adam Silver doesn’t think LaVar will have much of an effect on his son.

“Over all my years in the league I think I once spoke to a player’s father in a very polite way,” Silver said on ESPN’s Mike & Mike. “All I know is if I was an NBA team looking at Lonzo Ball I’m not sure know how much consideration I would give to his father. Again, I think ultimately the issue is how much game does Lonzo have, how great an NBA player can he be. I think his dad will invariably settle down once his son is drafted and the team has the appropriate conversations with him. I’m not concerned about that.”

ESPN also reported Lonzo will have a solo workout with the Lakers on June 7. LaVar has previously declared that Lonzo will be a Laker. Even though the Celtics have possession of the No. 1 overall pick, Lonzo is said to have rejected an offer to work out for the team. Lonzo is reportedly considering working out for the 76ers, who hold the No.3 overall pick.

Read More: Adam Silver, LaVar Ball, Lonzo Ball, NBA Draft

Mike Golic says there’s no ‘Mike and Mike’ rift: ‘Greenie and I are fine’

05.31.17 at 9:57 am ET
By   |   Comments

Mike Golic denies there's a rift between him and Mike Greenberg. (David Richard-USA TODAY Sports)

Mike Golic denies there’s a rift between him and Mike Greenberg. (David Richard-USA TODAY Sports)

Mike Golic says there’s no feud between him and Mike Greenberg.

At a Notre Dame awards banquet last Thursday, the “Mike and Mike” co-host said he holds more animosity towards staffers on his show who have anonymously been leaking stories to the press.

“Greeney and I have talked. Greeney and I are fine,” Golic said, via the South Bend Tribune.  “In all honesty, I had more of a problem and was a little disappointed that people that work on my show would anonymously throw stuff out there. I’m not a big fan of the anonymous thing. If you can’t put your name to it, I don’t know why you’d say it.”

Last week, Sports Illustrated’s Richard Deitsch reported Greenberg and Golic, who have been together since 2000, barely speak to each other anymore. An ESPN employee described the show’s atmosphere as “poisonous,” speculating it won’t run until its contractual end, which is believed to be in December. Greenberg is going to host a new morning variety show on ESPN in 2018, while Golic will be paired with Trey Wingo. His son, Mike Golic Jr., will also join the show every day from 6:00-7:00 a.m.

When the two hosts addressed their long-rumored breakup earlier this month, Golic didn’t look Greenberg in the eye and spoke cryptically about the decision. One of his sons also ripped ESPN in a series of tweets, calling the company’s executives “idiots.”

Read More: ESPN, Mike Golic, Mike Greenberg,

ESPN reportedly lays off Hall of Fame NFL reporter John Clayton

05.31.17 at 9:39 am ET
By   |   Comments

John Clayton is reportedly no longer with ESPN.  (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

John Clayton is reportedly no longer with ESPN. (Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports)

The widespread layoffs haven’t stopped at ESPN. According to the Sporting News, the WorldWide Leader has cut NFL analyst John Clayton, who covered professional football for the network for 23 years.

Over the last year, ESPN has dramatically reshaped its NFL coverage. In 2016, the company cut ties with Cris Carter, Keyshawn Johnson and Ray Lewis. Analysts Charles Woodson, Randy Moss, Matt Hasselback and Rex Ryan have been brought in to take their places on ESPN’s two signature studio shows, “Sunday NFL Countdown” and “Monday Night Countdown.” Chris Berman and Tom Jackson retired as well.

Clayton is one of several prominent NFL reporters and commentators who have been discarded in recent months. Trent Dilfer, Ed Werder and Britt McHenry are also out.

While Clayton has broke a litany of stories in his Hall of Fame career at ESPN, he’s perhaps best remembered for his starring role in a legendary 2012 “This is SportsCenter” commercial.

 

Read More: ESPN, John Clayton,

Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Barstool Sports writer faces backlash for Rihanna post

05.31.17 at 9:24 am ET
By   |   Comments

Good morning! Here is your Wednesday Morning Mashup. For the latest news, start at our WEEI.com home page or click here for the top stories and scores from our news wire.

WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLB: Houston at Minnesota, 1 p.m. (MLB Network)
MLB: Boston at Chicago White Sox, 8:10 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
MLB: LA Dodgers at St. Louis, 8:15 p.m. (ESPN)
MLB: Washington at San Francisco, 11 p.m. (MLB Network)
NHL: Nashville at Pittsburgh, 8 p.m. (NBCSN)

AROUND THE WEB:

— Cosmopolitan magazine, Elle UK and people on Twitter went after Barstool Sports on Tuesday after blogger Chris Spags posted a blog criticizing Rihanna for her weight. In the post, which has been removed from the website, Spags explores whether or not Rihanna’s apparent weight gain in a recent picture will lead to a new trend.

And some people did not find it funny.

Barstool leader Dave Portnoy responded to the outcry with a statement on Tuesday afternoon.

” … Lots of feminists not happy about it,” the statement reads. “To be honest I don’t think the blog was as bad as many are making it out to be, but I’ll tell you this. It wasn’t that funny either and I could have told you with absolute certainty that feminists would hate it and use it as an example of ‘there goes Barstool being Barstool again.’ There are just certain topics that you better nail if you’re gonna write about them because you know they are hot button issues for us. So if you’re gonna blog about Rihanna gaining weight you better be funny as fuck and you better make it bullet proof. This line right here? A world of ladies shaped like the Hindenburg loaded into one-piece bathing suits may be on the horizon now that Rihanna is traipsing around out there looking like she’s in a sumo suit. Well that’s neither.”

Portnoy went on to blast Spags, saying he is not a writer worth defending.

“If Big Cat or PFT or KFC or I write this blog I’ll defend it to the death,” he said. “They have earned that trust and loyalty from me. I hired them because I think they are all legitimacy hilarious people. However as I’ve said many times Spags wasn’t originally hired to be a personality at Barstool. He should not be writing blogs that we as a company end up having to defend. And I’ve been doing this long enough to know that somewhere down the line this blog will be dug up again and used as an example of our extreme sexism. Frankly that’s not a hill I’m willing to die on. I’ll choose a different guy and a different blog to go to war for. Just like how the risk wasn’t worth the reward in writing this, the risk isn’t worth the reward defending it either. That’s called being a leader. I make the decisions nobody else has the stomach to make.”

Cosmopolitan posted a response calling out Barstool as a “garbage sports site” who fat-shamed Rihanna and criticizing Portnoy’s apology. Elle UK also published an article in response with the headline “These Dude Bros Are Fat-Shaming Rihanna and I Am Disgusted.”  

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Bryce Harper,

ESPN host Paul Finebaum calls Kirk & Callahan ‘toxic waste’

05.30.17 at 6:04 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Paul Finebaum doesn't appear to be a fan of Kirk & Callahan. (Shanna Lockwood-USA TODAY Sports)

Paul Finebaum doesn’t appear to be a fan of Kirk & Callahan. (Shanna Lockwood-USA TODAY Sports)

In a heated exchange last year, Kirk Minihane called ESPN Radio host Paul Finebaum a member of the Manning family “propagandist machine” for his glib defense of Peyton Manning after the New York Daily News had published documents that allege the quarterback sexually assaulted a former athletic trainer at the University of Tennessee and then tried to ruin her reputation.

It appears as if Finebaum is still holding a grudge.

During a segment on his radio show Tuesday, the SEC analyst lashed out at Minihane and Gerry Callahan when a caller mentioned their criticisms of Tiger Woods.

“Those guys are a blot on the face of the earth,” he said. “They represent everything that’s wrong in society. They’re haters. They’ve never done a constructive thing in their life. I don’t really care what those two clowns say about anything.

“What have they ever accomplished, by the way? Does either one of them have a high school degree?”

Finebaum, who questioned Dr. Jamie Naughright’s truthfulness, laughed off the allegations against Manning during his appearance on “Dennis & Callahan” last February. “It’s patently outrageous for you to accuse Peyton Manning of sexual assault,” he said. “Let’s also accuse him of killing Nicole Brown Simpson while we’re at it.”

He took a similarly skeptical approach to Woods Tuesday, saying he “doesn’t know the full story” behind the golf star’s DUI arrest. Finebaum appeared to take personal umbrage when he was informed that Minihane and Callahan don’t feel the same way.

“I did their show one time. It was enough for me to never hear their names again, because they’re toxic waste. They’re pollution,” he said.

Read More: ESPN, Gerry Callahan, Kirk Minihane, Paul Finebaum

LaVar Ball turned down $10 million shoe contract offers for son

05.30.17 at 4:07 pm ET
By   |   Comments

LaVar Ball reportedly turned down multiple $10 million shoe contracts for his son.  (Richard Mackson/USA Today Sports)

LaVar Ball reportedly turned down multiple $10 million shoe contracts for his son. (Richard Mackson/USA Today Sports)

LaVar Ball, the outspoken father of UCLA point guard Lonzo Ball, a projected top pick in this year’s NBA draft, reportedly turned down offers from multiple sports brand giants such as Nike, Adidas, and Under Armour.

Their offer to sponsor his son with a shoe contract: upwards of $10 million.

ESPN’s sports business reporter Darren Rovell broke the news earlier this week on the “Dan Patrick Show,” that the three companies were prepared to offer Lonzo Ball the contract over five years. If Ball landed in Los Angeles, that number could have jumped to as high as $20 million through the year 2022.

Citing that he would only accept an offer in the billion dollar range, LaVar Ball nixed offers from the major corporations and decided to release the ZO2, Lonzo’s signature shoe under LaVar’s Big Baller Brand. The shoe retails for $495, and reportedly sold fewer than 300 pairs on the first day it was launched.

Last week Lonzo Ball turned down an offer to workout with the Celtics, who have the top pick in the draft. LaVar Ball has avidly pushed for the Los Angeles Lakers to draft his son with the No. 2 pick.

Looking back at the most revealing details of Tiger Woods’ sordid sex scandal

05.30.17 at 3:01 pm ET
By   |   Comments

Tiger Woods cheated on his ex-wife with at least nearly a dozen women.  (Rob Schumacher-USA TODAY Sports)

Tiger Woods cheated on his ex-wife with at least nearly a dozen women. (Rob Schumacher-USA TODAY Sports)

Tiger Woods’ life changed forever when he backed his car into a tree on Thanksgiving night in 2009. His ex-wife, Swedish model Elen Nordegren, reportedly chased him out of their mansion with a golf club after confronting him over his then-alleged extramarital affairs. In the following weeks, nearly a dozen women identified themselves as the golf star’s mistresses.

Woods’ sexcapades destroyed his clean-cut image, costing him $22 million in endorsements. While the 14-time Major winner has largely been able to resuscitate his reputation –– he raked in $45 million in endorsements last year –– his recent DUI arrest will almost certainly set him back. According to the police report, Woods was asleep behind the wheel of his 2015 Mercedes-Benz when he was pulled over near his $83 million waterfront estate in Jupiter, Florida.

While more revelations about the DUI will likely come forward in the coming weeks, it’s worth revisiting Woods’ sordid sex scandal, which rocked the nation for several months. He was on the cover of the New York Post for 20 straight days, surpassing 9/11 for the tabloid’s longest streak of consecutive cover stories.

The definitive piece written on the scandal was a two-part Vanity Fair feature story, published in April 2010. The article depicts Woods as a sex-crazed pervert, having intercourse with women in places ranging from his kitchen floor to a church parking lot. Five of the biggest takeaways from the article, and the scandal as a whole, are below:

Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley might be to blame for Woods’ debauchery:

One of Woods’ longtime advisors, attorney John Merchant, says the formerly No. 1 ranked golfer in the world turned to the dark side when he started partying with Jordan and Barkley. “I told him, ‘Stay away from that son of a bitch [Jordan], because he doesn’t have anything to offer to the f—— world in which he lives except playing basketball, which he did yesterday,’” Merchant said.

Jordan, a notorious degenerate, allegedly once tried to steal one of Woods’ booty calls –– a Hawaiian Tropic girl named Ferriolo. A matchmaker whom Woods used to use, Michelle Braun, said Jordan almost scooped up the model when she was on her way to meet Woods at a casino in the Bahamas.

“[Jordan’s] bodyguard goes, ‘Michael wants to meet you,’ ” Ferriolo said. “I walked over to him, and he grabbed my hand. I walked away, and he kind of gave chase. He goes, ‘I’m Michael Jordan. I will find you.’”

Woods exhibited no self-control:

Perhaps the most tawdry tale about Woods’ perversion comes from Perkins waitress Mindy Lawton, who recounted a steamy round of intercourse she had with him in a church parking lot before a golf tournament –– while she was menstruating.

“He told me to pull my underwear down and pull out my tampon, and we went at it with me pressed against his Escalade. He did it from the back,” she said.

Lawton also recalled an instance in which they wound up on Woods’ kitchen floor, which she said was filled with “fine porcelain tile and brushed-stainless-steel appliances.”

Woods was also allegedly rough with Lawton. She says he liked to pull her hair and spank her.

Read the rest of this entry »

Read More: Tiger Woods,

Lindsey Vonn posts bikini picture, had better Memorial Day than ex Tiger Woods

05.30.17 at 2:18 pm ET
By   |   Comments

As Tiger Woods’ life crumbles to pieces, his ex-girlfriend, Olympic skier Lindsey Vonn, is soaring. While Woods was being arrested on DUI charges in Florida, Vonn wore a bikini and frolicked in Monte Carlo at the Grand Prix.

Read the rest of this entry »

ESPN explains why it edited Tiger Woods headshot

05.30.17 at 12:36 pm ET
By   |   Comments

ESPN admits it edited Tiger Woods’ depressing DUI mugshot, saying it was a routine editorial decision.

When “SportsCenter” first reported on Woods’ arrest Monday, a cleaned up version of his headshot appeared on the left side of the screen under the “breaking news” banner. His thinning hair, which is disheveled in the authentic version, was cleaned up and combed.

In a statement emailed to WEEI.com, an ESPN spokesman said the decision was made so the photograph would fit neatly onto the screen. “We have utilized a standard template for on-air headshots, which led to the background being dropped for consistency. We will revisit this process to improve it going forward,” it reads.

The real mugshot was still seen across ESPN Monday, with the photoshopped copy only appearing in conjunction with the “breaking news” graphic.

Read More: ESPN, Tiger Woods,

Tiger Woods was asleep at the wheel during DUI arrest and failed field sobriety test, police say

05.30.17 at 11:07 am ET
By   |   Comments

Tiger Woods is schedule to appear in court July 5.  (Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports)

Tiger Woods is schedule to appear in court July 5. (Orlando Ramirez-USA TODAY Sports)

UPDATE (4:05 p.m.): TMZ reports Tiger Woods’ 2015 Mercedes AMG S65 was a “wreck” when he was pulled over for a DUI. Citing a police report, the website said the vehicle has two flat tires, a broken tail light and damaged bumpers. The damage appears to have been inflicted recently.

Previously: 

Tiger Woods was asleep at the wheel of his car when he was arrested and charged with driving under the influence Monday, according to the police report.

In addition to the DUI, Woods was cited for improper stopping, standing or parking in an illegal place. He was pulled over in Jupiter, Florida at 2:03 a.m., heading in the opposite direction of his restaurant, The Woods, and $83 million waterfront mansion. He was handcuffed around 3:00 a.m. and booked at around 7:00 a.m. before leaving the jail early in the 11:00 a.m. hour.

The police report says the golf star was buckled in the driver’s seat of his 2015 Mercedes-Benz when cops approached him. The car was running with its brake lights on and the right blinker was flashing. Woods failed the field sobriety test –– he couldn’t do the one-leg stand or touch his nose –– and also issued some bizarre statements to cops at the scene. When asked if he understood the request to recite the alphabet backwards, Woods reportedly said, “Yes, recite entire national anthem backwards.” He told police at first he was “coming from L.A. California golfing,” but then said he didn’t know where was.

Though Woods refused to take a breathalyzer test at the scene, he blew into one at 4:28 a.m. The results were negative, which means he may not have been under the influence of alcohol when his vehicle was stopped. In a statement, Woods blamed the arrest on an “unexpected reaction” to prescription medication, and said alcohol wasn’t involved. He underwent back surgery in February, and four drugs –– Solarex, Vicodin, Torix and Vioxx –– were listed under medical conditions.

Earlier stories said Woods was “arrogant” during his arrest, but the police report says the 14-time Major winner was cooperative. Officials described him as “very droopy” and “extremely sleepy.”

A Jupiter Police Department spokesman told Kirk & Callahan there is dash cam footage of the arrest, which is expected to be released later this week. Woods’ arraignment is scheduled for July 5.

Read More: Tiger Woods,