Monday’s Morning Mashup
|01.04.10 at 7:07 am ET|
Welcome to Monday’s Morning Mashup, where we’ll get you caught up on what’s going on in the sports world and beyond.
The news isn’t good for Patriots fans, so let’s divert your attention with a quick video clip. Here’s Florida beating NC State on Chandler Parsons’ 75-foot shot at the buzzer Sunday night.
FOOTBALL: Patriots lose, Welker hurt. Chris Price has 10 Things We Learned from the game. Price also examines the effect of Welker’s injury on backup Julian Edelman. Kirk Minihane also addresses the Welker situation. According to a report, Tom Brady has been playing with broken ribs.
The Ravens beat the Raiders and next will play the Patriots. The Jets beat the Bengals to make the playoffs. The Broncos lost at home to the Chiefs to complete their collapse. The Cowboys won the NFC East by shutting out the Eagles. Titans running back Chris Johnson became the sixth player in NFL history to rush for 2,000 yards in a season. Quarterback Pat White was carted off with a head injury in the Dolphins’ loss to the Steelers. The Bills routed the Colts. The Saints lost to the Panthers. The Browns won their fourth straight, beating the Jaguars. Brett Favre threw four touchdown passes in the Vikings’ rout of the Giants. According to reports, the Redskins will fire coach Jim Zorn today.
BASKETBALL: Jessica Camerato writes about Paul Pierce contributing to the Celtics from the bench. Camerato has the Three-Pointer of Things We Learned from the Celtics’ victory over the Raptors Saturday night despite the absence of three starters.
Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas isn’t looking too good as more details emerge about his irresponsible handling of guns. The Lakers routed the Mavericks, but center Pau Gasol left with a hamstring injury. The Bobcats surprised the Cavaliers in Cleveland. The 76ers knocked off the Nuggets. The Knicks beat the Pacers by 43 points. Chris Bosh became the leading scorer in Raptors history in a win over the Spurs.
USC self-imposed some sanctions due to the O.J. Mayo situation.
BASEBALL: Rob Bradford writes that Jason Bay agreed to terms with the Mets on Christmas.
Free agent first baseman Carlos Delgado played in a winter league game in Puerto Rico as he returns from a hip injury. Ken Griffey likes the offseason moves by the Mariners. Blue Jays infielder Edwin Encarnacion suffered first- and second-degree burns on his face from fireworks while celebrating the new year in the Dominican Republic.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Jan. 4, 1985, the Celtics honored Red Auerbach by retiring which number?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “It’s football — guys go down all the time. It happens on our team and other teams and it sucks. But it’s part of the game.” — Patriots tight end Benjamin Watson
STAT OF THE DAY: 6 — NFL players who have rushed for 2,000 yards in a season, after Titans running back Chris Johnson reached the plateau Sunday
‘NET RESULTS: Baylor women’s basketball star Brittney Griner dunks twice during a 99-18 victory over Texas State on Saturday night. Yes, 99-18.
TRIVIA ANSWER: 2
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Michael Stipe, lead singer of R.E.M., is 50 today.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’