Wednesday’s Morning Mashup
|03.24.10 at 10:05 am ET|
Welcome to Wednesday’s Morning Mashup, where we’ll get you caught up on what’s going on in the sports world and beyond.
An autistic teenager from Chicago claims to have picked the first two rounds of the NCAA tournament correctly — including every upset. Alex Hermann said there was no secret to his perfect picks. “I’m good at math,” he told NBC Chicago. “I’m kind of good at math and at stats I see on TV during the game.”
Hermann’s Final Four consists of Tennessee, Kansas State, Purdue and Kentucky, and he has Purdue beating K-State in the final.
Mets shortstop Jose Reyes was cleared for a return to baseball activities after resting with a hyperactive thyroid. Mariners lefty Cliff Lee said he might not be ready for Opening Day due to a strained abdomen.
FOOTBALL: D.J. Bean has a new mock draft. The Patriots’ signing of tight end Algie Crumpler reportedly is official. The NFL’s new overtime rule for playoff games was passed at the owners meetings. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he talks to Ben Roethlisberger daily.
The NCAA denied Alabama’s appeal of its penalty that cost the team 21 victories from 2005-07.
Zydrunas Ilgauskas returned to the Cavaliers. Prosecutors arguing for a three-month jail sentence for Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas portrayed him as a thuggish intimidator who tried to pressure his teammate into a cover-up.
The NHL’s board of governors unanimously approved a proposed penalty that would ban hits to the head against on an unsuspecting player.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On March 24, 1977, which Bruins rookie broke a 50-year-old team record for penalty minutes in a season when he got a major and a misconduct in a 6-2 loss to the Flyers, giving him 166 PIM, one more than Eddie Shore had in 1926-27?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “There should be no looking back from here. These last 10 games, destiny is in our hands. We want to finish it.” — Bruins forward Milan Lucic, after Tuesday’s night’s win over the Thrashers
STAT OF THE DAY: 10 — Consecutive wins for the Bruins over the Thrashers
‘NET RESULTS: Stephon Marbury put on a show at the Chinese Basketball Association All-Star Game over the weekend, hitting three ridiculously long 3-pointers in a row.
Maybe the Bruins should have sent their goalie after Penguins start Sidney Crosby.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Mike Milbury
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Nick Lowe is 61 today.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’