Monday’s Morning Mashup
|04.05.10 at 7:49 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
Bruins at Capitals, 7 p.m. (VERSUS)
NCAA championship, Butler vs. Duke, 9:21 p.m. (CBS)
AROUND THE WEB:
For those captivated by Joshua Sacco’s “Miracle” speech Sunday night at Fenway Park, here’s the background on the 5-year-old. He’s from Tennessee, but his parents are New Englanders, and all of them are Red Sox fans. He memorized the speech after watching Kurt Russell’s portrayal of 1980 Team USA hockey coach Herb Brooks in the movie “Miracle,” and his YouTube video has more than 2.7 million hits. He was invited to deliver the speech to Team USA at the Vancouver Olympics the night before the Americans played Canada in round-robin play (the game Team USA won, 5-3). Here’s the video from Sunday night.
And here’s the video of his original “Miracle” speech that became a YouTube sensation:
Here are opinions on the Donovan McNabb trade from papers in Philadelphia (the Inquirer’s Phil Sheridan) and Washington (the Post’s Michael Wilbon). Both imply that the Redskins made out better by obtaining the veteran quarterback.
Ken Tysiask of the Charlotte News Observer writes that Duke center Brian Zoubek is the key as the Blue Devils try to put an unhappy ending to Butler’s underdog run.
Dave George in the Palm Beach Post writes that Tiger Woods’ comeback is anything but “courageous.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 5, 1971, the St. Louis Cardinals returned which Rule 5 draft pick to the Red Sox, a player who would go on to have a solid major league career, although most of it was spent outside of Boston?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We don’t like them. They don’t like us. So I wasn’t surprised at all.” — Cavaliers star LeBron James, commenting on the six technical fouls called in Sunday’s Celtics victory despite James’ 42 points
STAT OF THE DAY: 5-for-9 — The stats for the three newcomers in the Red Sox lineup Sunday night (Adrian Beltre, Mike Cameron and Marco Scutaro)
‘NET RESULTS: A pitcher from Vanderbilt took a line drive that shattered his kneecap, but still he managed to fling the ball to first base to get the runner.
The basketball trick-shot specialists from Dude Perfect have hit the big time, hanging with Sacramento Kings rookie Tyreke Evans and showing off more amazing shots. Here’s one:
And one more:
TRIVIA ANSWER: Cecil Cooper
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Allan Clarke, former lead singer of the Hollies, is 68 today.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future