Friday’s Morning Mashup
|04.09.10 at 8:05 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
Wizards at Celtics, 7:30 p.m. (CSNNE/WRKO)
Red Sox at Royals, 8:10 p.m. (NESN/WEEI)
Hurricanes at Bruins, 1 p.m. (NESN)
Red Sox at Royals, 7:10 p.m. (NESN/WEEI)
Toronto FC at Revolution, 7:30 p.m. (CSNNE alternate channels)
Celtics at Bucks, 8:30 p.m. (CSNNE/WRKO)
Bruins at Capitals, noon (NBC)
Red Sox at Royals, 2:10 p.m. (NESN/WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
After a four-year battle, the University of North Dakota will drop Fighting Sioux as its nickname for sports teams.
Christine Brennan in USA Today writes that Tiger Woods may have softened his demeanor, but his game still is sharp.
Nick Canepa in the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that new Jets running back LaDanian Tomlinson should think twice before criticizing his former team.
Jerry Sullivan in The Buffalo News writes that the city has to be thankful for the Sabres’ great season, although he questions whether the team has enough for a long postseason run. That would be good news for the Bruins, who could draw the Sabres in the opening round.
Bob Kravitz in The Indianapolis Star writes that Brad Stevens signing a long-term contract to remain at Butler makes the feel-good story feel that much better.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 9, 1976, which future Hall of Fame pitcher made his debut for the Red Sox on Opening Day and was the hard-luck loser in a 1-0 loss to Jim Palmer and the Orioles?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “He’s had some tough times. His teammates and the coaching staff certainly support him. There’s obviously some frustration and he has stuck with it. He was a valuable asset to our team [Thursday night].” — Bruins coach Claude Julien, on defenseman Dennis Wideman, who scored a goal in Thursday’s win over the Sabres
STAT OF THE DAY: 6 — Consecutive games without a power-play goal for the Bruins
‘NET RESULTS: Bizarre sequence from Wednesday night’s NBA game in Oklahoma City. Denver’s Carmelo Anthony lays on the floor while play goes on around him. He eventually makes a miraculous recovery and returns.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Ferguson Jenkins
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Carl Perkins, who died in 1998, was born on this day in 1932.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call