Monday’s Morning Mashup
|04.19.10 at 7:24 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Rays at Red Sox, 11 a.m. (NESN, WEEI)
NHL playoffs, Sabres at Bruins, 7 p.m. (NESN/VERSUS)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Jason Cole at Yahoo!Sports reports that a suspension will come by Tuesday for Ben Roethlisberger, as NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is getting angrier as more information about the quarterback’s behavior becomes public. Meanwhile, Dan Le Batard of the Miami Herald looks at the racial aspect of this case, and he includes this quote from Charles Barkley:
“We have been suspending black guys, so we have to suspend the white guy? I’m concerned with that mindset in my community. You get one, we get one? That’s doesn’t make it even. This isn’t a contest. That’s not a win for black people. How about black guys quit committing crimes?”
♦ Mike Bresnahan of The Los Angeles Times wonders if this will be Phil Jackson’s last hurrah with the Lakers.
♦ Bizarre finish to an NHL playoff game in Denver Sunday: The Sharks lost Game 3 of the Western Conference quarterfinals to the Avalanche 1-0 despite holding a 51-17 advantage in shots. To make matters worse, the winning goal came when San Jose’s Dan Boyle tried to pass the puck behind his own net, but it deflected into the goal. Mark Purdy of the San Jose Mercury News has the grisly details. Here’s the clip of the winner:
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 19, 1960, the Patriots adopted Pat Patriot as their logo. Which cartoonist created the design?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We’re not doing a lot of things well right now.” — Red Sox manager Terry Francona, after Sunday’s 7-1 loss to the Rays, Boston’s fourth loss in a row
STAT OF THE DAY: 10 — Runs scored by the Brewers in the first inning of Sunday’s 11-7 win over the Nationals
‘NET RESULTS: The men in the green bodysuits did their best to distract Kings players in the penalty box.
A Triple-A mascot takes a little fall. Off the dugout roof.
Soccer goal of the weekend.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Phil Bissell
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Mark “Flo” Volman of the Turtles is 63 today. He’s the guy with the big mess of hair.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call