Thursday’s Morning Mashup
|04.29.10 at 7:24 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
No local games
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Greg Cote in The Miami Herald defends Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland, who has been taking heat for asking draft prospect Dez Bryant if his mother was a prostitute. Mike Ditka does not offer any support for Ireland, suggesting that “somebody ought to whack him in the head.” Meanwhile, the Dolphins owner and the league are looking into the matter.
♦ Tracee Hamilton in The Washington Post writes that Alex Ovechkin’s reputation as the world’s best hockey player took a hit with Wednesday night’s loss to the Canadiens.
♦ E.J. Montini in The Arizona Republic writes about how the Diamondbacks are being caught in the middle of the controversy about the state’s controversial immigration law.
♦ John Romano in the St. Petersburg Times writes about the Rays continuing to struggle with attendance despite their success on the field.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 29, 1986, Roger Clemens struck out 20 Seattle Mariners in a game at Fenway Park. But he was losing the game 1-0 after a home run by Gorman Thomas in the top of the seventh inning. Which Red Sox player hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the inning to make Clemens a winner?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Yeah, I think the first couple of days I was out there I was like, ‘Jesus, this is going to take awhile.’ I am not going to be a savior or anything and go out, you know, and get three goals in the first game. I would like to, but I don’t think that it is going to happen.” — Bruins center Marc Savard, on returning to action
STAT OF THE DAY: 1 — Wins at home for the Washington Capitals in their series vs. the Canadiens that ended Wednesday night with Montreal beating the regular season’s top home team in Washington for the third time
‘NET RESULTS: NBA referee Joey Crawford got a little confused on this foul call in the Trail Blazers-Suns game.
Interesting (and successful) strategy on a penalty kick in a Japanese soccer game.
Here’s a soccer goalie who isn’t afraid to let a teammate know he screwed up.
One more soccer clip — this time a dive so bad the guy should be given a red card.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Dwight Evans
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Tommy James is 63 today.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call