Friday’s Morning Mashup
|05.28.10 at 7:27 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Royals at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN, WRKO)
NBA playoffs: Magic at Celtics, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN, WEEI)
MLB: Royals at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
New York Red Bulls at Revolution, 8 p.m. (Comcast)
MLB: Royals at Red Sox, 1:35 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
NBA playoffs (if necessary): Celtics at Magic, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ A report in the New York Daily News by Christian Red indicates that Jose Canseco plans to testify before a grand jury next week that he never saw Roger Clemens take performance-enhancing drugs. This backs up Canseco’s claims made in an affidavit two years ago, and it gives Clemens an ally in his attempt to avoid perjury charges.
♦ Bill Plaschke in The Los Angeles Times writes about Lakers Game 5 hero Ron Artest, who took two ill-advised shots in the final minute before recovering and converting Kobe Bryant’s air ball at the buzzer.
♦ Geoff Calkins in The Memphis Commercial Appeal write about Grizzlies big man Zach Randolph, whose house allegedly was used as the base of an Indiana drug ring.
♦ Ailene Voisin in The Sacramento Bee writes about Bill Walton, who is going to sit in the broadcast booth for some Kings games while his health allows.
♦ Alex Marvez at FoxSports.com looks at the labor dispute between the NFL and the union and predicts we’re headed for trouble.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On May 28, 2000, Red Sox ace Pedro Martinez and Yankees hurler Roger Clemens hooked up in an epic duel at Yankee Stadium. Which Red Sox player hit a two-run home run off Clemens in the ninth inning to give Boston a 2-0 victory?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I don’t know what the answer is, but we will continue to try and figure it out. He was obviously struggling with his command.” — Catcher Jason Varitek, after Daisuke Matsuzaka gave up eight walks along with a hit batter and a wild pitch in 4 2/3 innings during the Red Sox’ 4-3 loss to the Royals Thursday night
STAT OF THE DAY: 26 — Consecutive games reaching base for Red Sox first baseman Kevin Youkilis
‘NET RESULTS: Here’s the video promoting The Tradition, the New England Sports Museum event honoring legendary Boston sports personalities set for June 14.
A Wrigley Field fan catches a ball in a beer cup and is an instant star for it. Slow day.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Trot Nixon
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Gladys Knight is 66 today.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’