Wednesday’s Morning Mashup
|06.02.10 at 7:21 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Athletics at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ The Blackhawks won the first two games of the Stanley Cup finals over the Flyers, and the Flyers defenseman Chris Pronger has no interest in being a classy loser. After both games, Pronger retrieved the puck and kept it from the Blackhawks.
Pronger claims he threw the pucks in the garbage, “where it belongs.”
And here’s Pronger after Game 2 flinging a towel at Chicago’s Ben Eager, who says he skated over to Pronger to tell him he could keep the puck — although probably not in such nice terms. Responded Pronger: “I don’t speak whatever language Eager was speaking.” Both players were given postgame misconduct penalties, and Sam Donnellon of the Philadelphia Daily News questions whether Pronger’s antics will help the Flyers as they host Game 3 Wednesday night.
♦ Gene Collier in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes about Ben Roethlisberger returning to Steelers practice and keeping his distance from the media.
♦ Jamie Trecker at FoxSports.com writes about the controversy over the soccer ball being used in the World Cup.
♦ Greg Cote at the Miami Herald isn’t happy with the Marlins, who are printing extra tickets to this past Saturday’s game — a no-hitter by Philadelphia’s Roy Halladay — and selling them to the public.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On June 2, 1995, which Blue Jay hit the only inside-the-park grand slam by an opposing player in the history of Fenway Park?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “This city, these fans, I mean, have given me a lot in these seven years. And, you know, for me, it’s comfortable. So I’ve got a lot of memories here. And so [Cleveland] does have an edge.” — LeBron James, talking to CNN’s Larry King about free agency
STAT OF THE DAY: 4 — Doubles Tuesday night by Red Sox catcher Victor Martinez, tying a major league record for catchers
‘NET RESULTS: Ninety-foot hook shot.
And a 92-footer.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Junior Felix, off Bob Stanley
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts is 69 today.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future