Monday’s Morning Mashup
|06.07.10 at 7:20 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Red Sox at Indians, 7:05 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Tiger Woods’ preparation for the U.S. Open in two weeks continues, but Sunday’s final round of the Memorial Cup in Dublin, Ohio, wasn’t a good sign of progress. His first two tee shots hit spectators — one in the leg and the other in the shoulder — and he later plunked another fan with a drive from the rough. Woods gave each spectator a signed glove. Woods rebounded to finish the round at even-par 72 and ended up 19th in the tournament.
♦ In a meeting of university presidents on Sunday, the Pac-10 gave commissioner Larry Scott permission to move ahead with expansion. We should know in the next week or so if the college landscape will change dramatically.
♦ Nick Canepa in the San Diego Union-Tribune writes about the bond between Bill Walton and legendary coach John Wooden, who died Friday at the age of 99.
♦ Amy Shipley in The Washington Post has a close look at controversial Canadian doctor Anthony Galea.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On June 7, 1982, the Red Sox used their first-round draft pick on which San Diego high school slugger?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “There’s no better place, moment, time … to win a game, and to win in a great fashion. I don’t know what record it is that people are telling me that I got, but it’s great to have, great to be able to look back on it and say I did that. This is definitely our time.” — Ray Allen, after his NBA finals record-setting eight 3-pointers in Sunday night’s Game 2 win over the Lakers
STAT OF THE DAY: 0-4 — The Red Sox’ record in extra-inning games against the Orioles this season.
‘NET RESULTS: Here’s one to get you excited for the World Cup. It’s a bullet free kick through a slim opening on a defenders wall for a goal.
And here’s a free kick that’s not quite as impressive.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Sam Horn
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Tom Jones turns 70 today.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call