Thursday’s Morning Mashup
|06.10.10 at 7:36 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Red Sox at Indians, 7:05 p.m. (NESN, WRKO)
NBA finals: Lakers at Celtics, 9 p.m. (ABC, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
Video of investigators’ interviews with Ben Roethlisberger’s Georgia accuser were released, along with clips of the Steelers quarterback partying at the bar. Roethlisberger responded with a statement that included an apology to his fans and a promise to work harder.
♦ David D’Alessandro in The Star-Ledger of New Jersey writes about Avery Johnson landing the Nets coaching job despite the fact that neither was the other’s first choice.
♦ David Thomas in the Fort-Worth Star Telegram writes about the madness of college conference realignment, with the Big 12 being raided and possibly headed for destruction.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On June 10, 1970, pitcher Jim Lonborg went on the disabled list with a right shoulder injury and the Red Sox activated which coach to take the roster spot?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “All the things we used to brag about when he was in our uniform, he showed it tonight. He maintained his velocity from the first pitch to the last. That’s about as good a game as you can pitch.” — Red Sox manager Terry Francona, on Indians pitcher Justin Masterson’s performance against the Sox Wednesday night
STAT OF THE DAY: 0-6 — The Flyers’ record in their last six Stanley Cup finals appearances, following Wednesday night’s loss to the Blackhawks
‘NET RESULTS: A series of Austrian commercials used the Zinedane Zidane World Cup head butt as inspiration. The commercials were pulled for being construed as promoting that “violence can be used to solve conflicts.”
Guillermo from Jimmy Kimmel Live filed a report from Los Angeles’ Staples Center at NBA finals media day and asked the players about the “Sex in the City” movie.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Outfielder George Thomas, who hit .343 in 38 games
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Shirley Reeves of the Shirelles is 69 today.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’