Thursday’s Morning Mashup
|06.24.10 at 7:35 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Red Sox at Rockies, 8:40 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Despite beating the Celtics in the NBA finals, the Lakers have some issues to address. Kevin Ding in the Orange County Register writes about coach Phil Jackson, who said Wednesday he is “leaning toward retiring” and appears serious about it. Mark Heisler in The Los Angeles Times writes that the team is preparing to tighten the wallet, affecting personnel throughout the organization. He explains the reasons for the financial concern.
♦ Henry Abbott at True Hoop has an interesting piece looking into the background of William “World Wide Wes” Wesley, confidant of LeBron James, John Calipari and others.
♦ Mike Lopresti in USA Today writes that fate has not been kind to the No. 2 pick in the NBA, and he offers a number of examples.
♦ Dave Hyde in the Florida Sun Sentinel writes that Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is the problem, not manager Fredi Gonzalez, who was fired Wednesday.
♦ The New York Daily News looks at Alex Rodriguez not wanting to talk about former manager Joe Torre as the Yankees prepare to play Torre’s Dodgers this weekend.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On June 24, 1986, which Bruins star from the 1950s and ’60s was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “This team embodies what the American spirit is about. We had a goal disallowed the other night, We had another good goal disallowed tonight. But we just keep going. And I think that’s what people admire so much about Americans. And I’m damn proud.” — Landon Donovan, after his stoppage-time goal gave the United States a 1-0 victory over Algeria on Wednesday at the World Cup
STAT OF THE DAY: 8 — Years since the United States had last won a World Cup game
‘NET RESULTS: Braves third baseman Brooks Conrad takes a one-hopper down his shirt.
Ron Artest appeared on the “Lopez Tonight” and performed in a skit in which Helen Mirren played his psychiatrist before Game 7 against the Celtics.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Defenseman Leo Boivin
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Arthur Brown is 66 today.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’