Thursday’s Morning Mashup
|06.24.10 at 7:35 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Red Sox at Rockies, 8:40 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Despite beating the Celtics in the NBA finals, the Lakers have some issues to address. Kevin Ding in the Orange County Register writes about coach Phil Jackson, who said Wednesday he is “leaning toward retiring” and appears serious about it. Mark Heisler in The Los Angeles Times writes that the team is preparing to tighten the wallet, affecting personnel throughout the organization. He explains the reasons for the financial concern.
♦ Henry Abbott at True Hoop has an interesting piece looking into the background of William “World Wide Wes” Wesley, confidant of LeBron James, John Calipari and others.
♦ Mike Lopresti in USA Today writes that fate has not been kind to the No. 2 pick in the NBA, and he offers a number of examples.
♦ Dave Hyde in the Florida Sun Sentinel writes that Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria is the problem, not manager Fredi Gonzalez, who was fired Wednesday.
♦ The New York Daily News looks at Alex Rodriguez not wanting to talk about former manager Joe Torre as the Yankees prepare to play Torre’s Dodgers this weekend.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On June 24, 1986, which Bruins star from the 1950s and ’60s was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “This team embodies what the American spirit is about. We had a goal disallowed the other night, We had another good goal disallowed tonight. But we just keep going. And I think that’s what people admire so much about Americans. And I’m damn proud.” — Landon Donovan, after his stoppage-time goal gave the United States a 1-0 victory over Algeria on Wednesday at the World Cup
STAT OF THE DAY: 8 — Years since the United States had last won a World Cup game
‘NET RESULTS: Braves third baseman Brooks Conrad takes a one-hopper down his shirt.
Ron Artest appeared on the “Lopez Tonight” and performed in a skit in which Helen Mirren played his psychiatrist before Game 7 against the Celtics.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Defenseman Leo Boivin
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Arthur Brown is 66 today.
- Tony Parka on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees not optimistic after Kevin Youkilis visits back specialist
- Kinisito on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Heat fans injured in restaurant deck collapse
- 3A on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- bruinman86 on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- 3A on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Japanese team reportedly had interest in Alex Rodriguez
- Mary Glynn on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th
- Otis on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th