Thursday’s Morning Mashup
|07.01.10 at 7:08 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
No local games scheduled
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Surveillance video reportedly does not back up the story Eagles quarterback Michael Vick told police about what happened when an associate was shot at a Virginia Beach nightclub. Phil Sheridan in The Inquirer writes that the Eagles should cut Vick if he lied or they lose all credibility.
♦ Kevin Ding in The Orange County Register writes that Kobe Bryant‘s right index finger might never be normal again due to arthritis, misuse and overuse, as the Lakers star played through the injury this season.
♦ Vic Carucci at NFL.com writes about Tim Tebow working hard with the Broncos as he tries to prove his doubters wrong.
♦ Dayn Perry at FoxSports.com looks at the American League’s continued supremacy over the National League. The AL went 134-118 in interleague play this season.
♦ Nigeria’s president suspended the national soccer team after its poor performance at the World Cup.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On July 1, 1973, which Red Sox player stole the 500th base of his major league career?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “My kids all said, ‘You’re a coach. That’s what you are. And you’re a parent, and we appreciate both.’ And so that made it easier.” — Doc Rivers, on announcing his return as coach of the Celtics
STAT OF THE DAY: 21 — Consecutive solo home runs for the Rays until Jason Bartlett hit a two-run shot Wednesday night against the Red Sox
‘NET RESULTS: A fan at Yankee Stadium is talking on his cell phone and takes a ball off his face.
This is what the World Cup should do when teams start their absurd celebrations.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Luis Aparicio
SOOTHING SOUNDS: On July 1, 1980, “O Canada” was proclaimed the national anthem of Canada.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’