Monday’s Morning Mashup
|07.05.10 at 7:55 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
MLB: Red Sox at Rays, 7:10 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ At Yahoo! Sports, Jeff Passan expresses surprise at the selection of Braves utility player Omar Infante to the National League All-Star team, calling the player the “worst All-Star ever” and looking at other players who would have been better choices by National League manager Charlie Manuel. In the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, David O’Brien writes that even Infante was surprised by his selection. “I got a call from [general manager] Frank Wren, and the first thought I had was that I got traded,” the Venezuelan said through an interpreter. “I was kind of nervous and choked up. By the time Frank told me I was going to the All-Star Game, I thought he was joking around. It took like five minutes for me to realize I’m going to the All-Star Game.”
♦ In the New York Daily News, Filip Bondy misses George Steinbrenner, who again was absent from Yankee Stadium on Sunday, the owner’s 80th birthday.
♦ The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports that the University of Georgia is set to announce its separation from athletic director Damon Evans, who was arrested last week for DUI, while a woman in his vehicle was arrested for disorderly conduct.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On July 5, 1970, which veteran major leaguer, making his Red Sox debut, pinch hit in the fifth inning against the Indians and hit an inside-the-park home run?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I looked there and I felt like, in my opinion, and I’m not his manager, but at the same time, he’s a young kid. I say let him pitch and let him get his feet on the ground in the major leagues and kind of let him earn his way.” — Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who will guide the National League All-Stars, on his decision not to select Nationals rookie phenom Stephen Strasburg
STAT OF THE DAY: 9 — Red Sox players on the disabled list, after Clay Buchholz became the latest to be sidelined
‘NET RESULTS: A minor league player has a meltdown about a strike call.
The gang from Improv Everywhere creates separate lanes on a New York City sidewalk for New York residents and tourists.
TRIVIA ANSWER: John Kennedy
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Bill Withers is 72 today. Here he is last year taking part in a prank of the USC football team and then leading the players in his hit “Lean on Me.”
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’