Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Reds’ Aroldis Chapman brings heat
|09.02.10 at 8:00 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
NFL preseason: Patriots at Giants, 7 p.m. (WBZ-TV Ch.4)
MLB: Red Sox at Orioles, 7:05 p.m. (NESN, WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Flamethrowing Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman, called up from the minors on Tuesday, picked up his first win after pitching a perfect inning in relief during the Reds’ victory over the Brewers on Wednesday night. In the process, he threw a pitch registered at 103.9 mph, the fastest pitch in the majors in the last three seasons. The Cincinnati Enquirer reports on how Chapman electrified the audience with his appearance.
♦ In the Chicago Sun-Times, Rick Morrissey joins the legion of people chiding the White Sox for their acquisition of Manny Ramirez, calling the September playoff push “Guilty Pleasure Month.”
♦ Andy Roddick was bounced by Serbia’s Janko Tipsarevic in the second round of the U.S. Open on Wednesday, and he didn’t go quietly. The ninth-seeded American berated an official for calling a foot fault and telling him the wrong foot was the one that faulted.
♦ At Yahoo! Sports, Jason Cole looks at how free agency may be a bargaining chip for NFL players in the CBA talks.
♦ Larry Brooks in the New York Post looks at the NHL’s hard-line stance on the Ilya Kovalchuk-Devils deal and reports that two other contracts are being contested.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Sept. 2, 2001, which Red Sox player broke up a no-hit bid by Yankees starter Mike Mussina with two outs (and two strikes) in the bottom of the ninth inning?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “It’s definitely different right now … I don’t think we’ve completely folded up the tent.” — Red Sox starter Josh Beckett, on his team’s playoff chances
STAT OF THE DAY: 13-0 — Jon Lester‘s career record against the Orioles, following Wednesday night’s Red Sox win in Baltimore
‘NET RESULTS: Basketball juggling trick shots.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Carl Everett
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Sam Gooden of the Impressions is 71 today.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’