Monday’s Morning Mashup: Giants fans boo Tiki Barber
|10.04.10 at 7:53 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING TODAY:
NFL: Patriots at Dolphins, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Former Giants running back Tiki Barber was booed during his introduction at halftime of New York’s win over the Bears on Sunday night. Barber was one of 30 inductees into the team’s Ring of Honor, but his recent critical comments of coach Tom Coughlin did not sit well with the fans.
♦ Nets CEO Brett Yormark responded to a comment from former team president Rod Thorn that Thorn “disliked” Yormark by placing the blame for the team’s 12-win season on Thorn’s shoulders. “We have a lot of work to do following Rod’s 12-70 season, and that work is both on and off the court,” Yormark said.
♦ With the Red Sox’ help, the Yankees missed out on a division title and settled for the wild card. In The New York Times, Tyler Kepner looks at the struggling Yanks, who are 0-3 in playoff series as a wild card.
♦ Alabama is a clear No. 1 in college football, but Pete Thamel in The New York Times looks at the race for No. 2 between a handful of teams, including some fresh faces.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Oct. 4, 1948, the Red Sox played a one game playoff vs. the Indians for the American League pennant. Who was the surprised selection by Red Sox manager Joe McCarthy to start the game, which the Sox lost 8-3?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I can say there’s potential for there to be larger-than-normal turnover, but I wouldn’t guarantee it either. We’ll see how everything comes together.” — Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, following Sunday’s season-ending game vs. the Yankees
STAT OF THE DAY: 631 — Consecutive sellout crowds for the Red Sox, after keeping the streak alive through the 2010 season
‘NET RESULTS: Dude Perfect is back with a new “longest shot.”
A college football sideline reporter tries to run with the Colorado Buffalo but gets take out by a member of the Buffalo crew.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Denny Galehouse
SOOTHING SOUNDS: On Oct. 4, 1970, Janis Joplin was found dead of a heroin overdose.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’