Monday’s Morning Mashup: Super Bowl snafus include seating issue, anthem flub
|02.07.11 at 7:43 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING LOCALLY MONDAY:
Celtics at Bobcats, 7 p.m. (CSNNE; WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ This Super Bowl hardly went off without a hitch. The biggest blunder Sunday was the failure of workers to complete 1,250 temporary seats at Cowboys Stadium that had been sold for $800 apiece. The NFL re-seated most of the affected individuals (taking seats away from Cowboys staff and families), offered three times the price as a refund, and put the remaining people in standing room areas where they had to watch a video screen. At FanHouse, David Whitley writes that the game was doomed by the Curse of Jerry, referring to Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, whose quest to set a Super Bowl attendance record was thwarted by the seating issue. At The New York Times, media critic Richard Sandomir looks at the failure of Fox to report on the ticket problem.
♦ Las Vegas sports books also had a rough day Sunday, as bettors were the big winners despite all efforts by the bookies to catch up.
♦ Christina Aguilera messed up a line in the national anthem (video below), and later said she loved her country and hoped that “the true spirit of its anthem still came through.”
♦ One of the four men featured in a Visa credit card commercial for having attended every Super Bowl had his streak ended Sunday. Robert Cook of Brown Deer, Wis., was hospitalized over the weekend. The 79-year-old Cook was depressed about missing the game, his wife said. His two daughters went in his place.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Feb. 7, 1999, which Patriot was named co-MVP of the Pro Bowl after helping the AFC to a 23-10 victory?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I feel like I let the city of Pittsburgh down, the fans, my coaches and my teammates, and it’s not a good feeling.” — Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger
STAT OF THE DAY: 30 — Additional shots for the Magic compared to the Celtics on Sunday, although Orlando made only two more baskets in the C’s 91-80 victory
‘NET RESULTS: Here’s a collection of the top 10 Super Bowl commercials from Sunday.
Here’s Christina Aguilera‘s Super Bowl national anthem, complete with flubbed line.
Alex Rodriguez gets some popcorn hand-fed by Cameron Diaz in a Super Bowl cameo.
ESPN re-creates the top five Super Bowl moments out of snack food.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Ty Law, who returned an interception 67 yards for a touchdown in his first Pro Bowl appearance
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Garth Brooks turns 59 Monday.
- Tony Parka on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees not optimistic after Kevin Youkilis visits back specialist
- Kinisito on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Heat fans injured in restaurant deck collapse
- 3A on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- bruinman86 on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- 3A on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Japanese team reportedly had interest in Alex Rodriguez
- Mary Glynn on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th
- Otis on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th