Video: Islanders’ Gillies gets 10-game suspension for hit to head
|03.05.11 at 11:33 am ET|
In his first game back from a nine-game suspension, Islanders forward Trevor Gillies committed a penalty that earned him a 10-game ban, the NHL announced Friday.
In Wednesday night’s game vs. the Wild, Gillies hit forward Cal Clutterbuck from behind with a shot to the head, earning him an ejection from the game. After being tended to on the ice, Clutterbuck remained in the game and played in Thursday night’s game against the Rangers.
“By targeting his opponent’s head, [four] shifts into his first game back from a suspension for a very similar action, Mr. Gillies has forfeited his privilege of playing in the league for 10 games,” NHL disciplinarian Colin Campbell said in a statement. “While it is fortunate there was no injury on the play, there can be no justification for a player delivering a dangerous check to an opponent in this manner.”
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call