Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Charles Barkley calls Knicks ownership ‘disgrace’
|03.15.11 at 7:52 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING LOCALLY TUESDAY:
NHL: Bruins at Blue Jackets, 7 p.m. (NESN)
MLB Preseason: Red Sox at Tigers, 1:05 p.m.
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ TNT analyst Charles Barkley went off on the Knicks Monday, calling ownership a “disgrace” for raising ticket prices and then putting a damper on fans’ excitement over the acquisition of Carmelo Anthony by saying, “In the history of all basketball, they may be the worst defensive team ever.”
Regarding the ticket hike, Barkley said: “The Knicks have been stinking for a long time and these fans have always been loyal. For them to jab them like that with a 50 percent increase, that’s unfair.”
Meanwhile, Barkley wasn’t himself during his appearance on CBS’ NCAA selection show Sunday, bringing up the question of if the network is trying to tone down the act that made him so popular on NBA broadcasts.
♦ The Fennville High School basketball team finally lost in the Michigan playoffs, following its inspiring run after the death of player Wes Leonard. The Detroit Free Press has the story of the emotional loss.
♦ With the controversy surrounding the NCAA selection committee’s picks this year, John Feinstein in The Washington Post writes that it would help if the process wasn’t so secretive. Meanwhile, Jeff Goodman at FoxSports.com writes that expanding the field to 96 teams would be a catastrophe.
♦ The New York Times profiles announcer Gus Johnson, who has become a legend for his calls of NCAA tournament games.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On March 15, 2001, in a game against the Suns, which Celtic recorded a four-point play, his second of the season?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I think it was all a show, with no real intent to get a deal done, other than just to say they made a proposal — that was no different than anything else that they proposed over the last couple years, couple months, couple weeks.” — Saints quarterback Drew Brees, commenting on negotiations with NFL owners
STAT OF THE DAY: 9 — Consecutive homes games against the Celtics the Nets had lost before Monday night’s 88-79 decision
‘NET RESULTS: There have been a number of memorable misses in soccer this year. Here’s one from Emanuele Giaccherini of the Italian team Cesena to add to the list.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Paul Pierce
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Sly Stone turns 69 Tuesday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future