Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Pistons’ Charlie Villanueva loses cool on court
|04.12.11 at 7:43 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING LOCALLY TUESDAY:
MLB: Rays at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Pistons forward Charlie Villanueva, who was involved in an incident with Kevin Garnett earlier this season, has a new worst enemy. In Monday night’s game vs. the Cavaliers, Villanueva and Ryan Hollins were ejected following a fourth-quarter scrum. After things appeared to have calmed down, Villanueva ran across to the court in an attempt to get at Hollins while being restrained by a teammate and security guard. As he was led to the Pistons locker room, Villanueva said, “I will kill that dude. I don’t give a [expletive].” After the game, Villanueva was more subdued. “I overreacted,” he said. “He said some things that got me upset.”
♦ Jose Canseco is back in baseball, as player/manager of the independent North American League’s Yuma Scorpions. His twin brother, Ozzie, will serve as his bench coach and hitting coach and also play. “Jose is a very accomplished player, he has a lot of sway in the media and in pop culture, and he’s bringing that to the city,” league president Kevin Outcalt said.
♦ Two former University of San Diego basketball players and an assistant coach were among seven people charged in a point-shaving scheme Monday. Brandon Johnson, the school’s all-time leader in points and assists, allegedly took a bribe to influence a game in February 2010 and tried to get a former teammate to do the same this season. Johnson spent this season with the Dakota Wizards of the NBA Development League.
♦ Real Clear Sports has a list of the top 10 surprises of the NBA season. No Celtics-related items made the cut. The Nets’ trade for Deron Williams ranked No. 1, beating out the Carmelo Anthony drama.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 12, 1992, which Red Sox pitcher threw a no-hitter but lost the game, 2-1, to the Indians?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I can’t believe it. I thought if you got busted one time, you definitely don’t get busted again. Maybe I’m wrong. Believe me, it shocked us all.” — Johnny Damon, on retired Rays teammate Manny Ramirez
STAT OF THE DAY: 20 — Total runs scored by the Rays in their first nine games, before they scored 16 Monday vs. the Red Sox
‘NET RESULTS: Purdue kicker Carson Wiggs booted a 67-yard field goal in the Boilermakers’ spring game.
This soccer goalie in Paraguay also has an impressive leg, as he boots a free kick just outside his box into the other team’s goal on the fly.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Matt Young
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Herbie Hancock is 71 Tuesday.
- Tony Parka on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees not optimistic after Kevin Youkilis visits back specialist
- Kinisito on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Heat fans injured in restaurant deck collapse
- 3A on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- bruinman86 on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- 3A on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Japanese team reportedly had interest in Alex Rodriguez
- Mary Glynn on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th
- Otis on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th