Report: Giants’ Osi Umenyiora to return to practice Monday without new contract
|08.15.11 at 9:08 am ET|
Osi Umenyiora ended his new-contract holdout that started July 30 and returned to practice Monday, the AP reported.
“No deal has been reworked,” Umenyiora told the AP in an e-mail Sunday. “What has been offered has been unacceptable and shows they don’t really respect the fact I sacrifice my health for the franchise. I will play under my current deal because I love and respect my coaches, my teammates, the fans, and myself. Not for those incentives.”
Umenyiora said the Giants put $7.1 million worth of incentives over the next two seasons into is existing contract, but he rejected them.
Umenyiora hasn’t practiced since arriving at the Giants’ training camp a day late. The delay happened because Giants GM Jerry Reese told Umenyiora they were reworking his contract, but Reese did not tell the AP what was discussed.
Umenyiora recorded 11.5 sacks in 2010, tied with Justin Tuck for most on the Giants. He was third on the team among defensive linemen behind Tuck and Barry Cofield with 48 tackles (33 solo).
He led the NFL with 10 forced fumbles.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call