Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: 49ers limit tailgating after shootings
|08.23.11 at 7:54 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING LOCALLY TUESDAY:
MLB: Red Sox at Rangers, 8:05 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Responding to the weekend violence during a preseason game against the Raiders, the 49ers decided to ban tailgating after kickoff and recommend a cancellation of the annual preseason rivalry with their Bay Area neighbors. There also are plans to beef up security and add DUI checkpoints outside the stadium. Two men were shot Saturday and another was found unconscious in a bathroom at Candlestick Park.
“To those of you who decide to come to our games, and it really doesn’t matter what jersey you may be wearing, or what hat you may wear, or what team you may support, your behavior on Saturday night is not welcome,” said Jim Mercurio, the 49ers’ vice president of stadium operations and security. “Don’t come here. You’re not welcome.”
♦ With the NFL’s new kickoff rules, Sam Farmer in The Los Angeles Times writes that kickers’ jobs now are even more precarious. Said veteran kicker David Akers, now with the 49ers: “Even the best job in the NFL, it’s a one-year deal for everybody.”
♦ Controversial Ohio State quarterback Terrelle Pryor was selected in the third round of the supplemental draft by the Raiders. With speculation that Pryor might end up at wide receiver or tight end, Real Clear Sports has a list of the top 10 college QBs to switch positions. No. 8 is Patriots receiver (and former Kent State QB) Julian Edelman.
♦ The Los Angeles Times has a report on the decline of rookie hazing in professional sports. The Cowboys and Jaguars are two NFL teams that have cracked down on the practice. “There’s not going to be anything demeaning in any way that a rookie has to do,” Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. “We don’t believe in that.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Aug. 23, 1974, which Red Sox pitcher won his 20th game of the season after outdueling Vida Blue of the A’s, 3-0?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Tell Keegan he’s in for a long day. It might be a seven-hour round.” — Tom Brady, on Monday’s Dennis & Callahan show, referring to PGA Championship winner Keegan Bradley saying he wants to play golf with the Patriots quarterback
STAT OF THE DAY: 0-4 — The Red Sox’ record against the Rangers in Texas this season, after Monday’s 4-0 loss
‘NET RESULTS: Gunshots erupt at a stadium in Torreon, Mexico, halting a soccer match. It turned out to be a gunfight outside the stadium between police and suspected members of a drug cartel, according to Mexican media.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Luis Tiant
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Survivor lead singer Jimi Jamison turns 60 Tuesday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future