Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Giants employee accused of embezzling $1.5M
|08.31.11 at 7:05 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING LOCALLY WEDNESDAY:
MLB: Yankees at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ A former payroll manager for the defending World Series champion Giants was arrested and charged with embezzling more than $1.5 million from the team’s salary and expense payments. Robin O’Connor, who was fired July 6, allegedly started taking the money beginning in June of last year. Her scheme unfolded when she forged a letter from a team human resources manager in an attempt to explain her boost in income while in the process of applying for a loan to buy a property in San Diego. O’Connor, a 41-year-old married mother of two who had a salary of $80,000, apparently admitted to at least some of the thefts after being confronted by Giants management.
♦ In The Wall Street Journal, Reed Albergotti looks at another consequence of the NFL’s new kickoff rules: It makes it more difficult for teams to identify players who have the combination of ability and fearlessness needed to succeed in the league. He uses former Patriot Rodney Harrison and controversial Steelers linebacker James Harrison as examples of players who turned heads with their play on special teams and earned their way into the starting lineup.
♦ Lakers guard Ron Artest said he will donate the $125,000 (plus any additional winnings) he’s receiving for his apperance on “Dancing With the Stars” to cancer research. Artest originally had said he wasn’t considering the show because of a lack of dancing skill, but his 8-year-old daughter convinced him otherwise. “She said, ‘Daddy, you can do it,’ ” Artest recalled. “It’s going to be fun.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Aug. 31, 2002, which Red Sox player committed an error for the first time in 250 games, ending his American League-record fielding streak at 592 chances?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Of course, when you guys won’t stop talking about it.” — Yankees pitcher CC Sabathia, asked after Tuesday night’s game if he was aware of his previous struggles against the Red Sox this season
STAT OF THE DAY: 128 — Pitches Sabathia threw Tuesday, his second-highest career total
‘NET RESULTS: Here’s the latest New Era commercial with John Krasinski and Alec Baldwin continuing their Red Sox-Yankees feud.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Johnny Damon
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Van Morrison turns 66 Wednesday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future