Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Holdout Chris Johnson rips ‘fake Titans fans’ on Twitter
|09.01.11 at 7:12 am ET|
WHAT’S HAPPENING LOCALLY THURSDAY:
MLB: Yankees at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
NFL Preseason: Giants at Patriots, 7:30 p.m. (WBZ)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Holdout running back Chris Johnson took to Twitter Wednesday to respond to fans who are calling him greedy. After earlier tweeting thanks to fans who “have me in their prayers thru my situation, it’s much needed” Johnson wrote that “fake Titans fans” should shut up, adding: I don’t have a regular job so don’t compare me to you and I can care less if think I’m greedy.
Following a storm of criticism, Johnson returned to Twitter to clarify his comments: My titan fans taking it all wrong I’m talking to the ones writing me racist Comments. I’m not call the Titan fans fake at all. He closed with an “LUV” hashtag.
Meanwhile, The Tennessean reports that Johnson and the Titans made progress toward a long-term deal Wednesday, after more than a month of stalled negotiations.
♦ Mets players who were on the 2001 team are returning to New York next week for the 10th anniversary of the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. The Mets played the first major sports event in New York after the tragedy when they hosted the Braves on Sept. 21, winning 3-2 on a Mike Piazza two-run home run while wearing hats that paid tribute to the city’s fire and police departments. Former player Todd Zeile said winning the game “almost felt defiant.”
“It was this little piece of New York saying to the world symbolically, We’re going to be OK,” Zeile said. “You can hit us, but you can’t keep us down.”
♦ President Barack Obama agreed to a request to move his jobs speech to next Thursday night so that it does not conflict with a Republican presidential debate. The only problem for sports fans is that the speech now goes up against the NFL’s season-opening game between the Saints and Packers.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Sept. 1, 1987, in separate transactions, the Red Sox traded away which two players who played key roles on the 1986 American League championship team for players to be named later?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I’m really happy to be with the Red Sox. I’m really happy to have the ability to come to work every day in a place likes this. Anybody associated with the Red Sox would have to be happy if you’re working here and I am.” — Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein, responding to a question about his possible interest in an opening with the Cubs
STAT OF THE DAY: 4-0 — Josh Beckett‘s record against the Yankees this season, after Wednesday’s 9-5 victory
‘NET RESULTS: Ivory Coast soccer star Didier Drogba, playing for the English team Chelsea, is knocked out cold by a goalie while in mid-air.
Surfing with a flare — literally.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Dave Henderson to the Giants (for Randy Kutcher), and Don Baylor to the Twins (for minor leaguer Enrique Rios)
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees turns 65 Thursday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future