Redskins WR Jabar Gaffney tells fan to kill himself on Twitter
|11.22.11 at 8:58 am ET|
Redskins wide receiver Jabar Gaffney is just the latest athlete to get in trouble using social media. After Washington lost 27-24 in overtime to the Cowboys on Sunday, Gaffney directed explicit tweets at a Dallas fan.
When the fan taunted Gaffney for the Redskins’ losing record, Gaffney tweeted at the fan, “3-7 ain’t a record to be proud of I’m just proud I ain’t you get a life or kill urself.”
Gaffney went on to tweet that he really didn’t want the man to kill himself. He has since deleted the string of tweets from the incident.
“It’s something that got took out of ‘text,” Gaffney told reporters on Monday. “Cowboy fans, that’s how they are. I was just telling the dude: `Y’all won. All right, leave me alone. Don’t talk to me.’ And that’s all it was.”
Still, Gaffney did not stop there, going back online later on Monday to tweet, “They say I can’t tell people to kill themselves didn’t know freedom of speech had limitations…”
Gaffney has 593 yards receiving and three touchdowns in his first season with Washington, after he played the prior two seasons with the Broncos. Before that, Gaffney played for the Patriots for three seasons.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call