Monday’s Morning Mashup: Panthers’ Jeremy Shockey upset about Texans’ lack of respect during national anthem
|12.19.11 at 7:44 am ET|
MONDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL: Canadiens at Bruins, 7 p.m. (NESN)
NHL: Ducks at Stars, 8 p.m. (Versus)
NFL: Steelers at 49ers, 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Nicholls State at North Carolina, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Davidson at Kansas, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Panthers tight end Jeremy Shockey wasn’t happy following his team’s game against the Texans Sunday. Shockey was upset about what he considered a lack of decorum by Houston players during the national anthem.
“I was pretty upset in the way that they weren’t showing respect to America during the national anthem,” Shockey said. “There were about 10 players that didn’t put their arms across their chest. This is America. You should at least respect America.”
Responded Texans linebacker DeMeco Ryans: “If he’s so patriotic, why was he looking at our bench instead of the flag? Where did he come up with the number 10? Was he counting? Why was he paying attention to us during the national anthem?”
♦ The Jets were getting embarrassed by the Eagles Sunday, but that didn’t stop Jets receiver from Santonio Holmes from celebrating a touchdown by mocking Philadelphia. After scoring to draw his team to within 28-10, Holmes put a foot on the ball and slowly waved his arms, earning him a 15-yard penalty. New York went on to lose, 45-19.
“Just being a vet, I can’t do silly things like that,” acknowledged Holmes, who had four catches for 40 yards but also had a fumble that was returned for an Eagles touchdown and failed to catch a ball that turned into an interception.
♦ As he prepares for his first season as Metta World Peace, the former Ron Artest continues to be an enigma to friends and foes alike. The Los Angeles Times has a closer look at the controversial Laker, whose stats have diminished the past couple of seasons but who is optimistic that he can bounce back at age 32 and with his new name.
“He was getting away from the person that he’s seen as possibly being evil in his life, so he made the name change to start a new path,” said Lakers assistant Chuck Person, a longtime confidant. “Hopefully, this path will be a more consistent path and he can be the person he always wanted to be.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Dec. 19, 2001, the Red Sox traded catcher Scott Hatteberg to the Rockies for a player they did not tender a contract to, making him a free agent. Two years later, they signed the same player to a one-year deal and he played for the Sox’ 2004 World Series championship team. Who is he?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Yeah, I Tebowed. … He put it out there. I wanted to steal it. I don’t think he’ll mind. Just one play.” – Defensive lineman Vince Wilfork, on the prayer celebration he did in the fourth quarter of the Patriots’ 41-23 victory over Tim Tebow‘s Broncos
STAT OF THE DAY: 167 – Rushing yards by the Broncos in the first quarter Sunday, the most allowed by a Patriots team under Bill Belichick
‘NET RESULTS: “Saturday Night Live” takes on Tim Tebow, and takes a shot at Bill Belichick.
A runaway maintenance cart took out some people after a high school football playoff game at Cowboys Stadium. That’s the winning team’s coach who ends up in the cart after getting hit by it.
Wyoming kicker Daniel Sullivan hits both uprights but gets his extra point kick through during his team’s loss to Temple.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Pokey Reese
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Earth, Wind & Fire lead singer Maurice White turns 70 Monday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future