Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Boxer Floyd Mayweather not buying Jeremy Lin hype
|02.14.12 at 7:55 am ET|
TUESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL: Rangers at Bruins, 7 p.m. (NESN)
NHL: Ducks at Wild, 7:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
NBA: Heat at Pacers, 7 p.m. (NBA TV)
NBA: Wizards at Trail Blazers, 10:30 p.m. (NBA TV)
College basketball: Virginia at Clemson, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Florida at Alabama, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Ohio State at Minnesota, 9 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Mississippi State at LSU, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Boxer Floyd Mayweather Jr. isn’t quite as excited about Knicks phenom Jeremy Lin as everyone else. Despite Lin leading the shorthanded Knicks to five straight wins, including a 38-point effort against the Lakers that earned him the cover of Sports Illustrated, Mayweather insists Lin is getting preferential treatment because of his race.
On his Twitter page Monday, Mayweather wrote: Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he’s Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don’t get the same praise.
Controversy is nothing new for Mayweather, who insulted rival Manny Pacquiao with racial and homophobic slurs in an online video two years ago.
Meanwhile, the stock price for The Madison Square Garden Co. reached an all-time high Monday, and Lin is being credited as a key reason for the success.
♦ On the heels of Lin’s breakout month, Real Clear Sports has a list of the top 10 undrafted NBA players. No. 8 is one-time Boston University guard Raja Bell. Two guards who played for the Celtics made the list: No. 4 David Wesley and No. 2 Bruce Bowen. Ben Wallace is No. 1.
♦ The Harlem Globetrotters have been parading around new acquisition Paul “Tiny” Sturgess, who is listed at 7-foot-8 and is recognized as the world’s tallest basketball player (although that is in some dispute). The 24-year-old Englishman joined the team along with 5-2 Jonte “Too Tall” Hall.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Feb. 14, 2003, which Bruin set a record for the fastest two goals by one player from the start of a game when he scored 10 seconds in and again at the 27-second mark in a 6-5 road victory over the Panthers?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “I just want to get on the best team. I’m not sitting here really worried about no deal. I think last year, before I retired, yeah, of course you want your money. But at the same time, you just want to play football. Money has never been the issue. But at the same time, I still have a family to support. … I’m not greedy, but I’m not dumb, either.” – Randy Moss, in announcing his plans to come out of retirement and return to the NFL
STAT OF THE DAY: 17 – Beanpot championships for Boston College, after Monday’s overtime victory over Boston University
‘NET RESULTS: Swimmer Matt Grevers proposes to his girlfriend, fellow U.S. National team member Annie Chandler, on the medal stand at a competition in Missouri over the weekend.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Mike Knuble
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Rob Thomas turns 41 Tuesday. (Late correction, Melissa Manchester‘s birthday is Wednesday.)
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’