Peyton Manning to Miami movement heats up in Florida
|02.23.12 at 12:04 pm ET|
Much of the talk during the NFL’s offseason has surrounded the Peyton Manning situation in Indianapolis. The Colts have until March 8 to decide whether to pay Manning his $28 million bonus and keep him in Indianapolis, or whether to let him walk as a free agent.
Manning did not play during the 2011 season while the Colts went 2-14, tying with the Rams for the worst record in the NFL. Questions remain about whether Manning will be healthy enough to play in 2012, and while the Colts brass has remained mum on Manning’s future as a Colt, Dolphins fans seem to be confident about his future in Miami.
A group of fans put up a billboard along I-595 and I-95 in Ft. Lauderdale that features a picture of Manning in a digitally altered turquoise and orange jersey and the slogan “Manning to Miami.”
There is even a website featuring a blog, sponsored advertisements and T-shirts to support the cause. The blog’s first entry claims that “Manning and the Colts are done!” It calls for fans to make their voices heard and make history by urging the Dolphins to sign Manning.
The Dolphins could use a quarterback, as an ESPN report claimed Miami will not offer a contract to quarterback Chad Henne, who had season-ending shoulder surgery after separating his shoulder in Week 4. Backup Matt Moore led the Dolphins to a 6-6 record the rest of the season, but the Dolphins have been open about saying they will explore other options.
According to Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Manning could easily be an option for the organization since owner Stephen Ross is a big fan of Manning.
“Ross is infatuated with the idea of signing [Manning],” Jackson wrote. “The Dolphins believe they have a realistic chance of luring Manning, who owns a condo in South Beach and has an affinity for South Florida.”
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- oldson on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’