Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Jets CB Darrelle Revis calls Bill Belichick ‘jerk’
|03.29.12 at 7:31 am ET|
THURSDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL: Capitals at Bruins, 7 p.m. (NESN, NHL Network)
NBA: Mavericks at Heat, 8 p.m. (TNT)
NBA: Thunder at Lakers, 10:30 p.m. (TNT)
College basketball: NIT final, Minnesota vs. Stanford, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
MLB preseason: Rays at Phillies, 1 p.m. (ESPN)
MLB preseason: Royals at Angels, 4 p.m. (MLB Network)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis stirred up the Jets-Patriots rivalry Wednesday, calling New England coach Bill Belichick a “jerk” during an appearance on ESPN.
Participating in a word-association game while sitting next to Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski, Revis paused after hearing Belichick’s name, and then replied, “Jerk.”
When asked to elaborate, he said it was for “some of the comments he says about the Jets.”
Said Gronkowski: “Wow, I wasn’t expecting that. … I’m surprised.”
Gronkowski then was given the name “Rex Ryan,” and he said of the Jets coach: “Entertainer.”
Revis also took a shot at his own team. When given the term “locker room,” Revis responded: “Disarray right now.”
♦ Knicks guard Jeremy Lin had lunch with the ESPN editor who wrote the offensive headline that got him fired last month. Anthony Federico told New York Newsday that the two spent some time together Tuesday at a Manhattan restaurant after a member of Lin’s family reached out to him.
“The fact that he took the time to meet with me in his insanely busy schedule … He’s just a wonderful, humble person,” Federico said. “He didn’t have to do that.. We talked more about matters of faith [and] reconciliation. We talked about our shared Christian values and what we’re both trying do with this situation. … We didn’t talk about the headline for more than three minutes.”
♦ Nike filed suit Wednesday in U.S. District Court in New York, accusing Reebok of using Tim Tebow‘s name on Jets apparel without permission. Nike replaces Reebok as the official supplier of NFL uniforms beginning Sunday, so Nike apparently wants the Canton-based retailer to step aside and let it capitalize on the demand for Tebow Jets apparel immediately.
The lawsuit claims Reebok misappropriated publicity rights, interfered with business relationships and failed to get Tebow’s permission before launching the new products.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On March 29 of which year did the Bruins beat the Rangers, 2-1, to complete a two-game sweep of the Stanley Cup finals and win their first championship?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We kind of smell the end of the season, with the playoffs coming. This is the time of year you’ve got to step it up and get ready.” – Paul Pierce, after the Celtics’ 94-82 victory over the Jazz on Wednesday night
STAT OF THE DAY: 3 – Games Houston Dynamo midfielder Colin Clark was suspended for directing a gay slur at a ball boy during an MLS game last week
‘NET RESULTS: Clippers star Blake Griffin throws down a ferocious dunk in Wednesday night’s game vs. the Suns.
Here’s the title sequence to the Bruins show “The Bear and the Gang.”
TRIVIA ANSWER: 1929
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Former Toto lead singer Bobby Kimball turns 65 Thursday.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call