Monday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow calls on athletes to be better role models
|04.09.12 at 7:51 am ET|
MONDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLB: Red Sox at Blue Jays, 7:07 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
MLB: Marlins at Phillies, 1 p.m. (MLB Network)
MLB: Angels at Twins, 4 p.m. (MLB Network)
MLB: Brewers at Cubs, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
NBA: Suns at Timberwolves, 9 p.m. (ESPN2)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ An estimated 15,000 people showed up in Georgetown, Texas, to hear Jets quarterback Tim Tebow speak at an Easter service Sunday. Tebow questioned professional athletes who claim they are not role models. “Yes, you are,” Tebow said. “You’re just not a good one.”
Asked by the church’s pastor what needed to change in America, Tebow said: “First and foremost is what this country was based on: one nation under God. The more that we can get back to that.”
♦ After having surgery last Monday to repair torn cartilage in his left knee, Knicks guard Jeremy Lin said Sunday that he does not expect to return in time for the first round of the playoffs.
“I think unless something goes really well, I wouldn’t get there,” Lin said.
The Knicks hold the eighth playoff spot after Sunday’s overtime win over the Bulls. If they should make the postseason and pull off a first-round upset, Lin said he might make an appearance.
“It depends on how far and how long it goes,” Lin said. “But obviously I want to get to 100 percent and then come back, hopefully see what I can do. By then it’ll be a different team identity, chemistry, so it gets tricky, too. Yeah, I’m doing everything, we’re doing everything we can to get back as soon as possible.”
♦ The legendary Oxford-Cambridge crew race was interrupted by a protester of elitism who jumped in the water Saturday, forcing the race to be stopped as the rowers headed into the final stretch. The incident also caused renewed concern that London Olympic organizers will have trouble protecting participants and spectators of the torch relay and Olympic Games.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 9, 1982, the Celtics retired which player’s number?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “This is a work in progress. We’re three days in after losing our closer, and we’re still trying to figure it out.” – Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, after Sunday’s 13-12 loss to the Tigers in 11 innings
STAT OF THE DAY: 17 – Consecutive games with double-digit assists for Rajon Rondo, who had 15 helpers in Sunday’s 103-79 victory over the 76ers
‘NET RESULTS: Bolivian soccer player Jhasmani Campos has some really good fakes.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Jo Jo White (10)
SOOTHING SOUNDS: The late Carl Perkins was born on this day in 1932.
- Tony Parka on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Yankees not optimistic after Kevin Youkilis visits back specialist
- Kinisito on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Heat fans injured in restaurant deck collapse
- 3A on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- bruinman86 on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Nets turn to just-retired Jason Kidd
- 3A on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Monday’s Morning Mashup: Japanese team reportedly had interest in Alex Rodriguez
- Mary Glynn on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: NBA commissioner David Stern wants harsher penalties for flopping
- my10sense on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th
- Otis on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Tiger Woods regains top spot on Forbes’ highest-paid ranking; Tom Brady 11th