Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Marlins’ Ozzie Guillen heads back to Miami to apologize
|04.10.12 at 11:33 am ET|
TUESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Celtics at Heat, 7 p.m. (CSNNE, ESPN; WRKO)
NBA: Knicks at Bulls, 9:30 p.m. (ESPN)
NHL: Draft lottery, 8 p.m. (NBCSN)
MLB: Red Sox at Blue Jays, 7:07 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
MLB: Pirates at Dodgers, 4 p.m. (MLB Network)
MLB: Yankees at Orioles, 7 p.m. (MLB Network)
MLB: Royals at Athletics, 10 p.m. (MLB Network)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ With residents and some local officials in Miami calling for the Marlins to fire Ozzie Guillen, the manager announced plans to return to South Florida on Tuesday to apologize in person for comments he made praising Cuban leader Fidel Castro.
Guillen, whose team is playing a series in Philadelphia but has no game Tuesday, apologized over the weekend after the Time magazine story filtered out. He said he has not been able to sleep and needs to let people in Miami see how contrite he is.
“I’m going to make everything clear what’s going on,” he said Monday. “People can see me and talk. I’ve already talked to people. But I think it’s the proper thing to see my eyes. They can see me and ask whatever question they want. I think sooner is better. Better for the ballclub, better for me.”
Added Guillen: “I know I hurt a lot of people. I want to get the thing over with.”
♦ Also in Miami, members of the Florida International basketball team walked out of Monday night’s season-ending banquet to protest the firing of Isiah Thomas and his staff. Thomas was 26-65 in three seasons at FIU before being fired Friday with two years remaining on his contract.
“We didn’t want to disrespect the program at all or anything,” freshman guard Tyler Wozniak told Yahoo! Sports. “We just wanted to show our support for Isiah Thomas. He was a great coach, a mentor and a father figure to us. He didn’t have a winning record, but you can’t build a program in three years.”
♦ In the Sporting News, Matt Hayes has an article that paints a negative picture of Urban Meyer‘s tenure at Florida. The now-Ohio State coach is accused of pandering to elite players — including current Patriots Brandon Spikes and Aaron Hernandez — and creating a contentious environment by allowing the stars to get away with too much. Said former safety Bryan Thomas: “The program was out of control.”
Responded Meyer: “I am very proud of our guys that played at Florida. Are there issues? Yes there are with 18-22-year-olds. I have been criticized that I have been too lenient on players; that doesn’t concern me. We are going to go out of our way to mentor, educate and discipline guys the way we see fit to make sure they’re headed in the right direction. Are we perfect? I never said that. We do the best we can and I think our record has been really positive in the impact we’ve made on those people.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 10, 1998, the Red Sox rallied from a 7-2 ninth-inning deficit against the Mariners, winning 9-7 on a walk-off grand slam by which Sox player?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “He wrote me a little note. It talked about trust. I told him I trusted him. He knew he was going to have the ball.” – Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine, on closer Alfredo Aceves, who got the save Monday night in Toronto after failing to retire a batter in two appearances in Detroit
STAT OF THE DAY: 0 – Hits for Kevin Youkilis in 12 at-bats this season, with five strikeouts
‘NET RESULTS: President Barack Obama struggles to find his range shooting baskets at the White House with the Harlem Globetrotters.
Players from the Allen Americans and Texas Brahmas, who are competing in the Central Hockey League playoffs, start fighting during a ceremonial puck drop.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Mo Vaughn
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Brian Setzer turns 53 Tuesday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future