Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Brandon Jacobs critical of former Giants teammates
|04.12.12 at 8:01 am ET|
THURSDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL playoffs: Capitals at Bruins, 7:30 p.m. (NESN, NBCSN)
NHL playoffs: Senators at Rangers, 7 p.m. (NHL Network)
NHL playoffs: Blackhawks at Coyotes, 10 p.m. (NBCSN)
NBA: Heat at Bulls, 8 p.m. (TNT)
NBA: Mavericks at Warriors, 10:30 p.m. (TNT)
MLB: Rays at Tigers, 1 p.m. (MLB Network)
MLB: Marlins at Phillies, 7 p.m. (MLB Network)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Running back Brandon Jacobs won a Super Bowl with the Giants two months ago, but now that he’s signed with the 49ers, he’s not showing a lot of respect for his former teammates. During an interview on San Francisco radio station KNBR, Jacobs said the New York offensive line deserved more criticism for his lack of production last season.
“We had issues. When I was with the Giants, we had issues down the line,” he said. “Of course, I took the blame for those [because I was] holding the ball. But ultimately, at the end of the day, it is my fault because I do have the ball and that’s what people see. But there’s a lot more than that going on.”
As for why he decided to leave New York for San Francisco, Jacobs said: “At the end of the day we go out and play this game for it being football, what we all love playing. But after you’ve been in the business a certain amount of time, and know that they’ve turned it into nothing but a business, that what-have-you-done-for-me-lately-type attitude comes. And that’s what we turn it into as players, and that’s when things happen.”
♦ Former NFL executive Charlie Casserly admits in an article for NFL.com that he used to use certain media members’ mock drafts to get a better idea of what other teams were thinking in the days leading up to the draft. He also writes that he used the media to determine teams’ needs and player visits, paying special attention to what team personnel told reporters. Somewhere, Bill Belichick is smiling.
♦ On the heels of the Magic’s Dwight Howard-Stan Van Gundy controversy, Real Clear Sports has a list of the top 10 coach-killers. The list includes Michael Vick, Reggie Jackson, John Elway and, at No. 1, Magic Johnson for helping to put in action the dismissal of Paul Westhead in 1981 and usher in the Pat Riley era.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On April 12, 2000, which Red Sox player recorded a sacrifice fly for the 1,341st RBI of his career in what would be his final major league game?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We’re not playing good right now. The games we’ve pitched well we don’t hit, the game’s we don’t pitch well, we hit. We haven’t put it together right now. Nobody in this clubhouse wants to start slow, regardless of years past.” – Red Sox pitcher Jon Lester, after Wednesday’s 3-1 loss to the Blue Jays
STAT OF THE DAY: 30 – Rebounds for Lakers center Andrew Bynum in Wednesday’s victory over the Spurs, marking the first 30-rebound game in the NBA in two years
‘NET RESULTS: Larry Bird and Magic Johnson appeared together on the “Late Show with David Letterman” Wednesday and yukked it up.
In the final seconds of the Predators’ 3-2 victory over the Red Wings Wednesday night, Nashville’s Shea Weber slams Henrik Zetterberg‘s head into the glass.
Rockies pitcher Jeremy Guthrie invited a fan via Twitter to have a catch with him at Coors Field. Here’s how it turned out.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Gary Gaetti
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Pat Travers turns 58 Thursday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future