Report: With Derrick Rose injured, Bulls to pursue Steve Nash, Jason Kidd
|06.04.12 at 12:49 pm ET|
With Derrick Rose’s torn ACL expected to keep him out 8-12 months, the Bulls are in desperate need of a point guard if they hope to compete for the top spot again in 2012-13.
According to Aggrey Sam of Comcast SportsNet Chicago, a source tells him “the Bulls will take a run at future Hall of Famers Steve Nash and Jason Kidd in free agency.”
The pitch to both Nash and Kidd will be that Chicago gives both the best opportunity to win a championship, of which Kidd has one and Nash has none.
According to the same source, the rest of the team’s “core,” which includes Joakim Noah, Luol Deng, Richard Hamiltion, Carlos Boozer and Taj Gibson, is “safe,” though team management is willing to listen to trade offers. Reserve big man Omer Asik is a restricted free agent this summer, though the report states the Bulls are likely to match any offers for him from opposing teams.
What this means for current backup point guard C.J. Watson is uncertain. After Rose tore his ACL in Game 1 of the Bulls’ playoff series, Watson stepped in and averaged 7.3 points and 5.5 assists per game in the series. The Bulls have until July 10 to pick up his $3.2 million option for 2012-13, but the Bulls could use that money to go after Nash or Kidd.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call