Goose Gossage: Roger Clemens doesn’t belong in Hall of Fame
|06.21.12 at 10:47 pm ET|
In an interview Thursday with ESPN New York 98.7, Hall of Fame pitcher Rich “Goose” Gossage called out Roger Clemens, saying the seven-time Cy Young Award winner is a cheater who shouldn’t be allowed to make the Hall of Fame.
Clemens was acquitted Monday on all charges of perjury in denying he used performance-enhancing drugs during his playing career.
“Are we going to reward these guys for cheating?” Gossage asked radio hosts Michael Kay and Don La Greca. “Even though he was found innocent, it was because of the bad testimony. No one believed [Brian] McNamee, and [Andy] Pettitte kind of changed his thing — ‘Did I really hear what he told me?’ ”
Gossage even compared the situation to that of O.J. Simpson’s murder trial in 1995, when Simpson was acquitted on all charges, a verdict that still today is highly controversial.
“O.J. Simpson, did you believe he didn’t kill those two people?” Gossage asked.
In light of the trial, Gossage also admitted that if he played during the steroid era, he “probably would have” taken performance-enhancing drugs. Gossage played 22 seasons between 1972 and 1994, and steroids were just starting to become prevalent towards the end of his career.
“Steroids weren’t a part of the game when I was playing. Toward the end, we wondered what was going on. We knew something was going on. Absolutely, I probably would have,” Gossage said.
“The peer pressure is what is so dangerous about steroids. It is affecting our kids in high school and into college. These things are bad for you and they have got to get rid of them. If you are lying, shame on you.”
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’