Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Barack Obama draws ire of Red Sox fans for Kevin Youkilis joke
|06.26.12 at 6:39 am ET|
TUESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLB: Blue Jays at Red Sox, 7:10 p.m. (NESN; WEEI)
MLB: Tigers at Rangers, 8:05 p.m. (MLB Network)
Tennis: Wimbledon, 7 a.m. (ESPN2)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ President Barack Obama usually gets a warm reception in Democrat-heavy Massachusetts, but on Monday he found out that tweaking Red Sox fans is not the way to go. Obama, speaking at a Symphony Hall fundraiser, was booed for thanking Boston for sending Kevin Youkilis to the president’s favorite team, the White Sox.
“I guess I should not have brought up baseball,” he said after the strong reaction. “I understand. My mistake, my mistake. You’ve got to know your crowd.”
♦ Spurs guard Tony Parker said the eye injury he suffered during a fight between singer Chris Brown and members of hip-hop star Drake‘s entourage at a New York City nightclub was extremely serious.
“I almost lost my eye,” Parker said in a story on his website, noting that he had to have an operating to remove a shard that had “penetrated 99 percent” of his left eye.
Parker is in Paris, where he is supposed to be practicing with France’s Olympic team, but he said he needs to get clearance from a specialist in New York before he can participate in the Summer Games.
♦ Anthony Davis, expected to be the No 1 overall NBA draft pick Thursday, has trademarked the phrases “Fear the brow” and “Raise the brow” in reference to his pronounced eyebrows that meet in the middle of his head.
“I don’t want anyone to try to grow a unibrow because of me and then try to make money off of it,” Davis told CNBC. “Me and my family decided to trademark it because it’s very unique.”
A University of Kentucky representative said the school monitored companies’ attempts to capitalize on Davis’ brow during his championship season with the Wildcats.
“We sent a half-a-dozen cease-and-desist letter,” said Jason Schlafter, UK’s associate athletic director for marketing. “But towards the end of the season, people were getting really creative.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On June 26, 1998, the NHL held an expansion draft to stock the Predators franchise. Which player was selected from the Bruins but eventually returned to Boston to coach the B’s?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We got to a point several days ago where we decided this might be the best thing, if there is a trade we could find, it would be the best thing for everyone. We have so much respect for Kevin, he has played his heart out every game he has been in a Red Sox uniform.” – Red Sox general manager Ben Cherington, during an appearance on Monday’s Dennis & Callahan show, talking about Sunday’s trade of Kevin Youkilis to the White Sox
STAT OF THE DAY: 11 – Consecutive seasons with at least 20 home runs for David Ortiz, who homered twice in Monday’s 9-6 loss to the Blue Jays to reach 20 this season
‘NET RESULTS: Venus Williams is not happy with a reporter who wants to know why she’s struggling following her first-round loss at Wimbledon.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Boston-area native Mike Sullivan, who coached the Bruins in 2003-04 and 2004-05
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Billy Davis Jr., who sang with The 5th Dimension and then as a duo with his wife, Marilyn McCoo, turns 74 Tuesday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future