Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Terrell Owens takes jab at ‘desperate’ Jets
|10.11.12 at 7:33 am ET|
The original Morning Mashup has returned, so let’s get right to it.
THURSDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
MLB playoffs: Giants at Reds, 1:07 p.m. (TBS)
MLB playoffs: Cardinals at Nationals, 4:07 p.m. (TBS)
MLB playoffs: Orioles at Yankees, 7:37 p.m. (TBS)
MLB playoffs: Tigers at Athletics, 9:37 p.m. (TNT)
NFL: Steelers at Titans, 8:20 p.m. (NFL Network)
College football: Western Kentucky at Troy, 7:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
College football: Arizona State at Colorado, 9 p.m. (ESPN)
NBA preseason: Heat vs. Clippers, at Beijing, China, 7:30 a.m. (NBA TV)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ How bad are things for the struggling Jets? Even out-of-work disgraced wide receiver Terrell Owens threw a jab at them Wednesday.
While New York was losing its third game of the season Monday night, Owens sent out a tweet reading:
Hey JETS!!! I’m available! I’m ready, willing & able! Call my agent @jordanwoy & let’s make it happen.
Then during an interview Wednesday with TSN Canada, Owens defended his desperate-sounding tweet. He said the Jets are the ones who are desperate, considering they had cornerback Antonio Cromartie line up as receiver to help compensate for the loss of Santonio Holmes.
Said Owens: “It’s not begging for a job when you know you can still play at a high level, given the opportunity. When you have a defensive back playing offense and running routes, I think that’s more desperate than my actual tweet itself.”
♦ Donald Trump apparently has no more patience for struggling Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez. The Donald sent out a tweet — somewhat prophetically, as it turned out — prior to Wednesday night’s game against the Orioles:
A-Rod must be dropped in the Yankees lineup tonight if they want to win. He simply can’t perform without drugs.
In the ninth inning of Wednesday’s game, Raul Ibanez was sent up to pinch-hit for Rodriguez, who is 1-for-12 with seven strikeouts in the series. Ibanez hit a game-tying home run, and the Yankees went on to win in 12 innings.
♦ Jazz forward (and former Celtic) Al Jefferson was the talk of the Internet Wednesday after it was revealed that he paid more than $23,000 for a custom bed. The bed is a whopping 10 feet wide by 12 feet long, more than enough room to spread out for the 6-foot-9 Jefferson.
The accompanying photo is of Jefferson’s teammate, 6-1 Mo Williams, who looks tiny in the oversized bed.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Oct. 11, 1967, the Impossible Dream Red Sox forced the World Series to the limit with an 8-4 victory over the Cardinals in Game 6. Which unheralded Sox rookie from New England started the game and pitched 5 1/3 innings of two-run ball but did not get the win?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Maybe 10 years ago I would have reacted in a much different way.” — Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, after being lifted for a pinch-hitter in the ninth inning of Wednesday’s win over the Orioles
STAT OF THE DAY: 15 – Walk-off wins this season for the A’s, who rallied past the Tigers on Wednesday night with three runs in the ninth inning for a 4-3 victory
‘NET RESULTS: New Celtic Jason Terry turns the tables when asks people in Boston for their autograph.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Gary Waslewski, a product of Berlin, Conn., and UConn
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Daryl Hall, the more prominent half of Hall & Oates, turns 66 Thursday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future