Ex-Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen tweets congratulations to successor Mike Redmond
|11.02.12 at 11:35 am ET|
One week after firing Ozzie Guillen, the Marlins named former major league catcher Mike Redmond as their new manager Thursday.
Redmond, who managed Class-A teams in the Blue Jays’ system, signed a three-year contract and becomes the Marlins’ fifth manager since 2010.
Interestingly, 13 of the 28 current major league managers (two spots are still open) have catching experience in the majors or minors. Former Sox catcher Jason Varitek’s name was floated as a possible coaching choice in Boston.
Redmond was .287 hitter in 13 seasons, including seven years for the Marlins, and was a part of World Series team in 2003.
Former manager Guillen tweeted his well-wishes for Redmond
congrats mike redmond for u new job good luck buddy u have great guys going to play for you
Marlins left fielder Logan Morrison tweeted that he spoke with his new skipper by phone.
Just talked to our new manager on the phone. Sounds like a great guy.
The Marlins scheduled a press conference Friday to formally introduce Redmond.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call