Rex Ryan: Jets’ anonymous comments about Tim Tebow ‘a cowardly thing’
|11.14.12 at 7:32 pm ET|
Rex Ryan addressed the Jets about a critical article that was published in Wednesday’s New York Daily News in which an anonymous player called Tim Tebow “terrible” and other unidentified players criticized the backup quarterback.
Ryan said he spoke to his team about the nameless comments made to the newspaper.
“If you’re going to make a negative comment, that’s fine,” Ryan said. “We never say that it always has to be a bed of roses. But again, put your name to it. I think people will respect you a lot more.”
Added Ryan: “Because I think it’s a cowardly thing. If you’re not going to put your name to it, I think that’s about as cowardly of a thing as there is.”
The 3-6 Jets have lost three straight, but Ryan is hopeful that incidents like this could bring stability to New York.
“I think this team is coming together,” Ryan said. “Could this galvanize it? I don’t know. Maybe so. This team, in my opinion, is not going to be pulled apart by outside people. I think inside the walls we are going to [close]. That’s what’s going to give us an opportunity. If I’m wrong on that, obviously that’s going to be a different issue. I don’t believe that. I believe this team is coming together. We’ll see if there’s no cracks in the armor or whatever, we’ll find that out. Maybe we’re not there right now, but I believe we will be.”
Ryan again made it clear that Tebow was brought in to be a backup.
“Tim Tebow came here to be the backup quarterback,” Ryan said. “We never brought him in here, to be the starting quarterback. We already had a starting quarterback in Mark Sanchez. I thought I was clear on that from the day we brought Tim in here. But what we were also clear on is that he’s a football player and we’re going to use him in different roles.”
Jets guard Matt Slauson went on the record in the article stating that Sanchez far outplayed Tebow, and Ryan wasn’t upset with Slauson.
“I have no problem with Matt Slauson because he put his name on it,” Ryan said. “I don’t agree with everything Matt said. I agree with the fact that we have a starting quarterback. And we’re confident in — and Matt’s obviously confident in — Mark Sanchez.”
This will make things interesting as the Jets head to St. Louis to take on the Rams this Sunday.
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future