USC without QB Matt Barkley against No. 1 Notre Dame
|11.19.12 at 2:28 pm ET|
Southern California will be without quarterback Matt Barkley when the Trojans take on No. 1 Notre Dame this Saturday.
Coach Lane Kiffin announced freshman Max Wittek will make his first career start in place of Barkley.
In three appearances this season, Wittek has completed 8-of-9 passes for 95 yards and a touchdown with no interceptions. He has been sacked once. His debut will not be an easy one, as he faces the top-ranked Irish at the Los Angeles Coliseum.
Barkley was injured in the final minutes of the Trojans’ 38-28 loss to UCLA on Saturday when he was sacked by linebacker Anthony Barr. Barkley was down on the field for a few minutes and was replaced by Wittek on USC’s final series.
Following the game, Barkley left the stadium with his right arm covered by a sweater. His shoulder appeared to be supported by a sling, but he would not comment on the injury, citing the program’s policy.
“I feel bad for him and his family,” Kiffin said. “This is obviously not how you want it to be.”
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call