Monday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow reportedly asks out of Jets’ wildcat
|12.24.12 at 7:53 am ET|
MONDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
College football: Sheraton Hawaii Bowl, Fresno State vs. SMU, 8 p.m. (ESPN)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Tim Tebow did not play in the Jets’ 27-17 loss to the visiting Chargers on Sunday, and there are reports that the backup quarterback told his coaches he did not want to be used in the wildcat package because he was frustrated with having been passed over for the starting job.
While former third-stringer Greg McElroy started in place of the benched Mark Sanchez, wide receiver Jeremy Kerley ran the wildcat plays.
Jets coach Rex Ryan would only say (through a spokesman) that it was a “coach’s decision,” and Tebow stated, “It just kind of happens.”
There have been reports in the past few days that Tebow will join the Jaguars next season, either via a trade or as a free agent after a release from the Jets. Tebow, who has 39 passing yards this season, remained confident Sunday.
“I believe in my God-given ability to play this game of football and I think I can play it for a long time,” he said. “And I look forward to playing it some more.”
♦ Neither the Panthers nor Raiders will be in the postseason, but both teams played with playoff intensity Sunday, with Carolina taking a 17-6 victory. Raiders quarterback Carson Palmer was knocked out of the game on a hit by Panthers defensive end Greg Hardy in the first quarter, and Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly admitted that his team wanted revenge on Cam Newton.
“You take our guy out we’re going to go and try to take your guy out,” Kelly said. “We’re not out to hurt someone, but when that happens …”
Kelly was flagged for unnecessary roughness in the second quarter following a sack of Newton, and the QB responded by kicking Kelly off him. Newton later received a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct when he bumped an official while complaining about a hit he felt was late.
♦ Former major leaguer Ryan Freel was found dead of what appeared to be a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Saturday, according to police in Jacksonville, Fla. The 36-year-old hit .268 and had 143 stolen bases in 594 career games with the Blue Jays (2001), Reds (’03-08), Orioles (’09), Cubs (’09) and Royals (’09).
Tweeted former teammate Sean Casey: RIP Ryan Freel!! Great teammate, great guy, n loved his family! Such a sad day today with his passing! Awful news! Prayers are with his family!
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On Dec. 24, 1960, the Celtics set an NBA record for most rebounds in a game during a 150-106 rout of the visiting Pistons. How many rebounds did the Celtics get: 87, 94, 101 or 109?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We played pretty terrible out there. It came down to the wire and our defense made some plays. That was a bad 60 minutes of football. We got out-competed out there, out-fought. We were lucky to win.” – Tom Brady, after the Patriots held off the Jaguars for a 23-16 victory Sunday
STAT OF THE DAY: 18 – Career games with 10 or more receptions for Patriots receiver Wes Welker — who had 10 catches for 88 yards Sunday — giving him one more than Jerry Rice and Andre Johnson for an NFL record
‘NET RESULTS: Tyler Gron of the Central Hockey League’s Bloomington Blaze sores a nifty goal, faking out two defenders and finishing off his hat trick.
TRIVIA ANSWER: 109
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Lee Dorsey, who died in 1986, was born on this day in 1924.
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- oldson on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’