Reports: Cavaliers acquire Marreese Speights, Wayne Ellington from Grizzlies
|01.22.13 at 11:56 am ET|
The Cavaliers, who host the Celtics on Tuesday night, agreed to a multiplayer trade with the Grizzlies that should provide an immediate boost, according to multiple reports.
Memphis, in an attempt to shed more than $6 million of payroll to get under the luxury tax threshold. reportedly will send forward Marreese Speights, shooting guard Wayne Ellington, point guard Josh Selby and a future first-round draft pick to Cleveland for seldom-used forward Jon Leuer.
Speights, averaging 6.5 points and 4.7 rebounds, and Ellington, averaging 5.5 points, are key players off the bench for the Grizzlies. They make $4.2 million and $2.08 million, respectively. Selby, who has played in just 10 games, makes $762,195.
Leuer has appeared in nine games for the Cavs, averaging 2.4 points. He also makes $762,195.
The Grizzlies are 26-14 and in fourth place in the Western Conference (second to the Spurs in the Southwest Division). They are hoping to clear enough money to keep forwards Rudy Gay and Zach Randolph.
The Cavaliers, who this week learned that big man Anderson Varejao is done for the season with a blood clot in his lower right lung, are 10-32 and a half-game ahead of the Eastern Conference’s last-place team, the Wizards.
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call