Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Kevin Youkilis yet to return call from new teammate Joba Chamberlain
|01.23.13 at 7:54 am ET|
WEDNESDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NHL: Bruins at Rangers, 7:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
NBA: Nuggets at Rockets, 8 p.m. (NBATV)
NBA: Thunder at Warriors, 10:30 p.m. (NBATV)
College basketball: Lehigh at Bucknell, 6 p.m. (CBSSN)
College basketball: Duke at Miami, 7 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Penn State at Indiana, 7 p.m. (Big Ten Network)
College basketball: South Florida at Seton Hall, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: TCU at West Virginia, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Colorado State at New Mexico, 8 p.m. (CBSSN)
College basketball: Minnesota at Northwestern, 9 p.m. (Big Ten Network)
College basketball: Georgia Tech at North Carolina, 9 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: Iowa State at Texas Tech, 9 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: San Diego State at Nevada, 10 p.m. (CBSSN)
College basketball: Denver at New Mexico State, 11 p.m. (ESPNU)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ When former Red Sox infielder Kevin Youkilis signed as a free agent with the Yankees in December, he said his feud with reliever Joba Chamberlain was “not a big deal to me,” even though Chamberlain made a habit out of firing fastballs at Youkilis body when they were on opposing teams.
Chamberlain also insisted he was ready to move on, and he said he left a voicemail for Youkilis welcoming him to New York.
However, Chamberlain said Tuesday that Youkilis never returned the call.
“I did everything I can do,” Chamberlain said. “I can’t control what Kevin Youkilis does, I can only control what I do and, you know what, we’ll go on from there.”
Chamberlain said he wasn’t surprised that Youkilis had not called him back.
“No, not really,” he said. “I’m bound to run into him at some point. Sooner rather than later. We’ll see what happens. We’re grown men.”
♦ Six weeks after the accident that killed Cowboys practice squad player Jerry Brown, for which backup nose tackle Josh Brent was charged with involuntary manslaughter for allegedly driving drunk, Cowboys starting nose tackle Jay Ratliff was arrested for DWI early Tuesday after crashing his pickup truck into an 18-wheeler in Grapevine, Texas.
No one was injured in the accident, but police said the 31-year-old Ratliff failed a field sobriety test.
Ratliff, who was released on bond Tuesday morning, was limited to six games in 2012 due to injuries. He underwent a sports hernia surgery in late December.
♦ The woman whose pictures were used as part of the girlfriend hoax involving Notre Dame’s Manti Te’o told NBC’s “Today” show on Tuesday that alleged mastermind Ronaiah Tuiasosopo confessed and apologized to her on Jan. 16, the day Deadspin broke the story.
“I don’t think there’s anything he could say to me that would fix this,” said 23-year-old Diane O’Meara, who was a high school classmate of Tuiasosopo’s in California.
O’Meara said she never had contact with Te’o, and that the pictures were used without her knowledge or consent.
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA (answer below): On Jan. 23, 1981, the Red Sox traded Fred Lynn and Steve Renko to the Angels for pitchers Frank Tanana and Jim Dorsey and which outfielder/designated hitter?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “Brady’s a great competitor and I love going against him and I know where his heart is at for this game. It was all good.” – Ravens safety Ed Reed, on receiving an apology from Tom Brady after Sunday’s game for Brady’s sliding kick
STAT OF THE DAY: 11 – Points by Cavaliers guard Kyrie Irving in the final 2:33 of Tuesday’s 95-90 victory over the Celtics, as part of his 40-point night
‘NET RESULTS (mobile users, check the website to see the videos): The Maple Leafs had a creative ceremonial puck drop before their home opener against the Sabres on Monday night, with things starting from the International Space Station.
At Heat teammate Shane Battier‘s karaoke event, LeBron James shows his lack of singing ability.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Joe Rudi
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Anita Pointer of the Pointer Sisters was born on this day in 1948.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’