Heat guard Ray Allen says retirement could be a consideration after this season
|01.24.13 at 10:09 am ET|
Ray Allen has acknowledged that there is a possibility that this could be his final NBA season.
Allen is in the first year of a three-year deal with the Heat after leaving the Celtics. Even at the age of 37 he is proving why he is commonly viewed as the greatest shooter in league history.
Allen’s 43.2 percent shooting from 3-point range ranks him seventh in the league. Though he is having a productive season off the bench for the defending NBA champions, Allen said he is not really sure when he’ll call it quits.
“I don’t know when I’ll retire. I’d like to get through the year first. I feel great; my body feels good. I’ve just got to get through,” Allen said.
A 10-time All-Star, he is being paid $3.09 million this season. He has a player option for next season at $3.2 million, but he acknowledged there’s a chance he’d be willing to walk away at the end of the season.
“It’s possible, yeah,” Allen said. “Who knows what’s going to happen over the course of the summer? I have two years left on my contract. We’ll see how it goes.”
The former UConn star began his NBA career in 1996 with the Bucks and spent six years in Milwaukee before heading to Seattle to play for the SuperSonics.
“I’m at a point where I’ve been pretty successful and I’ve gotten to the point where I really understand the game and how to play it,” he said. “But I’m not going to be that guy who just hangs on. At some point, I can let it go.”
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call