Lawyer: Voice of Manti Te’o's ‘girlfriend’ was man
|01.24.13 at 12:15 pm ET|
The lawyer for the man accused of perpetrating the girlfriend hoax involving Notre Dame star Manti Te’o told the New York Daily News that Ronaiah Tuiasosopo was the voice of Lennay Kekua for the many phone conversations with Te’o.
Tuiasosopo, who was president of his high school’s drama club, has had vocal and dramatic training.
“[Te'o] thought it was a female he was talking with,” lawyer Milton Grimes told the Daily News. “It was Ronaiah as Lennay.”
Grimes said Tuiasosopo was not attempting to embarrass Te’o.
“This wasn’t a prank to make fun,” Grimes said. “It was establishing a communication with someone. … It was a person with a troubled existence trying to reach out and communicate and have a relationship.”
Asked specifically what Tuiasosopo hoped to gain by the hoax, Grimes said: “I wouldn’t describe his issues at this time.” He added that his client is seeing a mental health professional and wants to tell his story.
“He’s torn by this,” Grimes said. “He didn’t mean for anyone to be hurt. Anything that he has done, he has apologized to those he could apologize to.”
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- jimi krystle on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future
- Russ on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call
- FireGuyFrank on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Umpires in Cleveland blow game-tying home run call