49ers WR Randy Moss at Super Bowl media day: ‘I’m the greatest receiver ever’
|01.29.13 at 1:14 pm ET|
Niners receiver Randy Moss, making his first appearance at Super Bowl media day since 2008 with the Patriots, made it clear that he has not lost any confidence in his game despite sitting out all of last season.
“Now that I’m older, I do think I’m the greatest receiver to ever [play],” said Moss, who had 28 receptions for 434 yards and three touchdowns this season. “I don’t think numbers stand, because you talk about this and this. This year has been a down year for me statistically. The year before I retired was a down year, and then in Oakland [in 2006] was a down year. So, I don’t really live on numbers. I really live on impact and what you’re able to do out on that field. So, I really do think I’m the greatest receiver ever to play this game.”
One area in which Moss has struggled is winning. He has yet to capture a Super Bowl title in his 14 NFL seasons with the Vikings, Raiders, Patriots, Titans and 49ers.
“I’ve won a championship on every level, and I’ve already told myself that I wanted to win a championship on this level,” he said. “To have a Super Bowl ring, my career would be complete.”
Moss came close five years ago, when the Patriots lost to the Giants.
“In ’07 with the Patriots, we were riding high, being undefeated going up to the Super Bowl,” he said. “I think that’s just something we wanted to accomplish as a whole team, something to set ourselves in history. But being here with the 49ers, they were so close last year with a couple of mishaps [against] the Giants in the NFC championship game. I think just by the way we practice, the way the guys speak in the locker room, they were determined to get back here. And I just wanted to be a part of it.”
Moss’ teammates raved about his impact on the team, but Moss said he did not join the 49ers intending to influence the younger players, indicating it happened in an organic way.
“I never considered myself trying to be a leader,” he said, adding: “I just wanted to come in and play football. … If there’s anything I’ve been able to give back to the younger guys, it is my experience. That’s something I’ve taken to heart. Just looking at the younger guys and how they look at me is something I never imagined.”
Moss reiterated that he plans to return next season.
“I’ve thought about it,” he said. “I really want to play another year.”
However, he was sure he would re-sign with the 49ers, saying: “I don’t know about that.”
- quazymoto on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- MichiganJones on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- mystreba on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Sergio Garcia apologizes after racially insensitive comment about Tiger Woods
- jeff on Jets RB Mike Goodson arrested on weapons, drug charges
- Franky on Stopped Boston Marathon runners invited back for 2014
- Uncle Buck on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: ‘Bickering’ Knicks look to regroup for Game 4 against Pacers
- David Stern on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- Matt on Monday’s Morning Mashup: LeBron James gets defensive after criticism from Bulls
- bruinman86 on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Tim Tebow unsure about future