Ravens DB Ed Reed: Junior Seau ‘signed up for’ possible dangers of NFL
|01.30.13 at 9:13 am ET|
Ravens safety Ed Reed said Tuesday that Junior Seau, who committed suicide after reportedly suffering brain damage during his NFL career, knew the possible dangers of football and accepted them when he signed an NFL contract.
“Did he sign up for it?” Reed said during Super Bowl media day Tuesday. “Yeah, he signed up for it.”
Reed said he’s already having issues he believes to be related to concussions during his NFL career, which began in 2002, but that all football players accept the potential risks.
“I feel effects from it,” Reed said. “Some days, I wake up and I’m like, ‘Where did my memory go?’ But I signed up for it.”
Meanwhile, Baltimore safety Bernard Pollard said he’d have doubts letting his own young son play football.
“My son will be 5 [years old] in a couple of days,” Pollard said. “He wants to throw the football and be tackled. I see it in him. My wife and I talk about it all the time. I know concussions can happen anywhere. I don’t want to see my son go through that.”
But Reed stood by his claim that Seau knew what could happen to his mind when he became a pro football player.
“Junior gave everything he had to football,” Reed said. “I’m sure he’s looking down and has no regrets.”
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’