Yankees GM Brian Cashman: Johnny Damon ‘just not going to fit our needs’
|02.27.13 at 10:13 am ET|
Johnny Damon expressed an interest in returning to the Yankees while outfielder Curtis Granderson recovers from his broken arm, but he acknowledged that it’s unlikely the team would reach out to him. On Tuesday, general manager Brian Cashman responded to an exploratory text from Damon’s agent, Scott Boras, and confirmed Damon’s thinking.
“It’s just not something we’re going to pursue.” Cashman said (via the New York Daily News). “I love Johnny, a lot of leadership and everything else. But it’s just not going to fit our needs. It’s the same reason we didn’t bring him in last year. We need somebody who can play the outfield every day.”
Damon, 39, last played with the Yankees in 2009. He was a member of the Tigers in 2010 and the Rays in 2011, and he played 64 games last season with the Indians before being released. With his outfield skills deteriorating, he’s been used more as a designated hitter the last three years.
“That’s what he was towards the end with us,” Cashman said. “But he was a great Yankee, has a World Series ring to show for it, and it was a good marriage while we had it. Johnny’s great. Listen, I love Johnny Damon, and he was an awesome Yankee when we had him — but that was a while ago.”
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’