Friday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Richard Sherman unloads on ESPN’s Skip Bayless
|03.08.13 at 7:48 am ET|
FRIDAY’S BROADCAST HIGHLIGHTS:
NBA: Hawks at Celtics, 8 p.m. (ESPN, CSNNE; WEEI-FM)
NBA: Rockets at Warriors, 10:30 p.m. (WSPN)
College basketball: Kent State at Akron, 7 p.m. (ESPN2)
College basketball: Tennessee State vs. Belmont, 7 p.m. (ESPNU)
College basketball: Loyola Marymount vs. Santa Clara, 9:30 p.m. (ESPN)
College basketball: San Diego vs. BYU, 11:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
NHL: Blackhawks at Avalanche, 9 p.m. (NHL Network)
College hockey: Maine at UNH, 7:30 p.m. (NBCSN)
MLB preseason: Twins at Red Sox, 7 p.m. (NESN; WEEI-AM)
World Baseball Classic: Mexico vs. United States, 9 p.m. (MLB Network; WEEI-AM)
World Baseball Classic: Canada vs. Italy, 2:30 p.m. (MLB Network)
World Baseball Classic: Spain vs. Puerto Rico, 5:30 p.m. (MLB Network)
AROUND THE WEB:
♦ Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman, known as much for his trash-talking ways as for his All-Pro ability, appeared on ESPN’s “First Take” on Thursday and had some harsh words for panelist Skip Bayless.
Sherman had little interest in responding to Bayless’ questions about his claims that he’s better than Jets standout Darrelle Revis. Instead, Sherman launched a series of insults at the veteran talker.
“Skip, whenever you refer to me, whenever you speak to me, whenever you address me, address me as ‘All-Pro Stanford graduate’ because those are some accomplishments you’ll never — you can aspire to, you’ll never accomplish,” Sherman said.
Added the cornerback: “In my 24 years of life, I’m better at life than you.”
And: “I’m intelligent enough and capable enough to understand that you are an ignorant, pompous, egotistical, cretin. I’m going to crush you on here because I’m tired of hearing about it. … I’m tired of your ignorant pollution.”
♦ A Swiss hockey player was paralyzed during a Nationalliga B playoff game this week. Ronny Keller, a 33-year-old defenseman for Olten, was knocked head-first into the boards by Langenthal forward Stefan Schnyder during overtime of their game.
The Puck Daddy blog has a translated quote from the chief physician at the hospital where Keller was taken: “Following the serious injury of the fourth thoracic vertebra, Ronny Keller will be a permanent paraplegic. There is neither head nor brain injuries.”
♦ Brewers general manager Doug Melvin spent three hours in the emergency room Wednesday night after he was stung by a scorpion inside his condominium at spring training in Phoenix. Melvin reached down with a tissue and attempted to pick up what he thought was a spider when he was stung on his left middle finger.
“My arm started swelling and then the numbness started going up my arm, like when you hit your funny bone. I was wondering if it might go all the way up my arm and go to my heart. I got nervous when it got up to my shoulder, so I went to the emergency room,” Melvin said Thursday, upon returning to work. “They gave me [pain medication] and just watched me for a couple of hours. They said your vision can go blurry from that. It was more an education on it, but my arm is still numb.”
ON THIS DAY TRIVIA: On March 8, 1988, the Bruins acquired goalie Andy Moog from the Oilers for which two players?
QUOTE OF THE DAY: “We’re certainly not perfect right now. We’re certainly not firing on all cylinders. I think right now, we’re laboring through it. But, the work ethic was there tonight. The peaks and valleys of a season are pretty obvious that watching us play, nothing is real easy right now. The fact that we’re working through it – if we keep working like that it will come back.” – Bruins coach Claude Julien, following Thursday’s 4-2 victory over the Maple Leafs
STAT OF THE DAY: $25,000 – Fine NASCAR assessed to driver Denny Hamlin for comments criticizing NASCAR’s new cars, a fine the “disrespected” Hamlin said he will not pay
‘NET RESULTS: Texas A&M receiver Ryan Swope joins up with the Dude Perfect crew for a football trick-shot video.
TRIVIA ANSWER: Goalie Bill Ranford and forward Geoff Courtnall
SOOTHING SOUNDS: Worcester native Andy Ross of OK Go was born on this day in 1979. He’s the one in the black jacket.
- Ty on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin fined $100K; forfeiture of draft picks a possibility
- Geetsolboy on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Struggling Nets demote top assistant Lawrence Frank after reported rift with Jason Kidd
- Kevin Miller on NFL roundup: Discipline expected for Steelers coach Mike Tomlin; Giants-Redskins ends in controversy
- Mike on Wednesday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez amends lawsuit, says Bud Selig lacks ‘courage’
- my10sense on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- DF on Tuesday’s Morning Mashup: Seahawks CB Brandon Browner reportedly facing 1-year suspension
- Mike on Friday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez hearing ends, player’s lawyers say they’ll take case to court
- gazzzmann on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- Mike on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’
- TedSox on Thursday’s Morning Mashup: Alex Rodriguez turns up at New York radio station, says Bud Selig ‘hates my guts’